Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Jun 2001 19:27:39 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: 84 Pretend Vanagon (Toyota)- don't knock 'em!

>They're built on a Corolla chassis, I believe, with the Corolla 96" >wheelbase which gives them long overhangs and a tendency to bob and dip a >lot. Supposed to be quite reliable, but a hideous pain to do anything at >all on the engine (beyond checking the oil). A lot smaller than a Vanagon.

No no no! These (and the old 60s versions, and also the current version) have absolutely nothing to do with Corollas, apart from also being Toyotas. Good wee vans, but too small for my taste. Do not confuse with the Vanagon-sized-and-larger Toyota Hiace, which shares the Liteace layout (wanna jpeg of a full-time luxury SWB 4x4 3.0 EFI turbodiesel Hiace Super Custom, just ask and I'll send it).

Back in the late 70s someone in Australia was fitting Holden or Ford Falcon V8s into 60s-model Hiaces, which were only slightly larger than Liteaces. Sparkplug access? Slide on down under!

>Anybody know anything about the Mitsubishi van that looks much more like a >V'gon (still somewhat smaller)? I sometimes mistake them for Vanagons in >the distance from behind.

The boxy 80s Mitsubishi Delica van (=Express, L300 in export markets) is identical in layout to the Toyota Liteace/Townace/Masterace (=LE in USA/Canada) mentioned above. Much wider than the Toyota, but very short. It DOES look much like a Vanagon, and I'm sure most people here mistake my VW for an early Delica. Delicas are almost all short-wheelbase; LWB is very rare. SWB 2WDs handle much like a 60s Split, tending to mild oversteer. They came with 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0 gas engines and hideously unreliable 2.5 diesels. MPV version is often called Starwagon. 4WD versions are strongly offroad-biased, all SWB, and I have had extensive experience with these; stiff suspension combined with very short wheelbase means vicious seesawing over speed bumps etc. 4WD is part-time. If brakes are not working just right the 4x4 can wind-up stopped at right-angles to travel direction on hard stops on paved roads... it happened to me! What were Delicas sold as in USA?

The current-production Delica came out about 1989. A 2.7 diesel (including turbo version) MUST be avoided at all costs, which will cost you less than if you buy one. I assume that this "new" model isn't sold in USA. In my experience every Delica, old and new models, leak dust BADLY through the tailgate on gravel roads. <www.mitsubishi-motors.co.nz/L300_petrol.html> This will be the current model, also sold as L300 in NZ. I call all Delica, as this is the home-market name. As far as I know there is no L400. The L100 is a microvan, L200 is the pickup.

Isuzu's Fargo, Nissan's small Sunny/Cherry Vanette and large Urvan/Caravan/Homy follow the same layout as the Toyotas and Mitsis. Unfortunately Subaru never made a van other than the Domingo micro. Daihatsu vand are badge-engineered Toyotas (Delta is a Toyota Dyna, Delta Wide is a Liteace).

I beg to differ about "tinniness" of Japanese vans, including the Delicas. All are quite solid, and the Toyotas have very strong chassis members, as my Geology Dept learned when an 80s-model Hiace full of students hit a concrete bridge (driver-incompetence) while still moving at a good clip. It was driven hundreds of km home.

Engine access IS a bit constricted in Japanese vans (having to flip-up the hatch-mounted passenger seat to gain entry), but there are advantages in the layout... a big flat floor in back, lack of which is the only disadvantage of rear-engined VW vans. The only other option is a ghastly Eurovan/Transit-"style" thing, which is too long for its interior room compared to a forward-control van.

New Zealand is full of Japanese vans; we get them new; even larger numbers are imported secondhand from Japan.

Andrew Grebneff 165 Evans St, Dunedin, New Zealand ph 64 (3) 473-8863 fax 64 (3) 479-7527 <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> www.goingplatinum.com/member/vw1 www.highyieldcrusaders.ws/ref.html?ref=vw www.aciimoney.com/index.shtml?vw1 VW & Toyota vans, Toyota diesels and Macintoshes rule