Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Jun 2001 08:10:26 -0400
From:         Andrew Fox <afox@USGS.GOV>
Subject:      Re: Last call for overheating help
Comments: To: John Flaherty <jflahert@MAINE.RR.COM>

John's original message states: >Radiator fan didn't appear to be coming on >when the gauge read hot. I could place my palm on the "hot" radiator and >hold it there comfortably. Front heater blew lukewarm air.

Does anyone think that John's temperature gauge may be giving a false reading? If his radiator fan is coming on when the guage gets way up there then maybe his temp gauge is reading wrong. Maybe he has a faulty volatage regulator. John, check the voltage at the voltage regulator, its behind the tachometer. It should be 10.5 volts i think. Bentley shows a picture and gives the correct volatage range. Does anyone know the resistance values for the temperature gauge at various levels? Right now i'm struggling with a similar problem as John but I figured there must be something wrong with my gauge becasue when i let the car idle for awhile the radiator fan comes on when the heat gauge is almost up to the upper white line.

Of course the only way to test what's really going on is to use one of those external hose temperature sensors that nasa developed. Maybe becasue of internal hose deterioration the coolant temp at the engine is hot but cooler up front at the radiator. Anyone know where to get one of these sensors, or what company makes them?

Thanks, Andrew Fox 86' auto westy