Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Jun 2001 09:43:06 -0700
From:         "M.R. Nimmo" <mrnimmo@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: 84 Pretend Vanagon (Toyota)- don't knock 'em!
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Agree. Not a Corolla chassis. In fact, it's a very beefy looking frame. Not FWD either, as some suppose.

>>Good wee vans, but too small for my taste. Do not confuse with the Vanagon-sized-and-larger Toyota Hiace,

Unfortunately, Hiace isn't available here.

http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/Hiace/index.html

Diesel, rear facing middle captains and rear sofa/bed available, lotsa sunroofs available. Mmmmmmmm....

>>Sparkplug access? Slide on down under!...Engine access IS a bit constricted in Japanese vans (having to flip-up the hatch-mounted passenger seat to gain entry)

Engine access is GREAT! And much better than that small hatch on the vanagon. On the Toyota, the driver's seat flips back to expose the engine... but most don't know there is second engine hatch UNDER the passenger seat. Tuneup items are here. Remove the passenger seat--4 bolts-- pull back the carpet, and the 10 bolts or so on that panel under the passenger seat. A few screws hold the console. I have it all off in 5 minutes or so. There are also two small hatches BEHIND the driver's seat that gives you access to oil filters, power steering fluid, and other items.

Yes the Toyota is smaller, but no smaller than current minivans. (I had it beside an Astro yesterday. The passenger/cargo compartment is the same length and height, and a few inches narrower.)

Eurovan is larger than the usual minimomivan and very nice, but so expensive. I've found that autos are poor investments and a terrible place to put $30,000+. Furthermore, EV's get no better mileage than a fullsize Ford and require super unleaded. Bottomline: I'm not interested unless they offer a TDI and manual, preferably LWB and weekender--the EV is no more attractive to me than a V6 Econoline, Astro, or Ram Wagon.

I tried to use my 84 vanagon as a daily driver. The maintenance was killing me. I just couldn't keep up. And I still had real trouble on the horizon (tranny, head gaskets, that oil light flicker thing once the engine warmed up).

The Toyotas don't have a bit of charm, and the ride is boring. But you do get that bus-like cabover driving experience, 22-26 mpg (American), dual AC (that works), and superb reliability. Tune up and maintenance parts are available cheap at every FLAPS. And any mechanic can work on it--once you open the TWO hatches so they can see this thing is just like every other toyota on the road.

It doesn't have the vanagon's character, but then, it's not a vanagon's deficiencies. It works for me, as a daily driver, but will never replace my vanagons and busses.

Das Kapitan