Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Jun 2001 09:56:15 -0700
From:         Joel Cort <joel_cort@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Camping spots near Niagara Falls
Comments: To: puzerewski <puzerewski@EMAIL.MSN.COM>

Adam,

Hey someone is venturing into Western New York? Thank you! thank you! we are not worthy.... Yes we are!

There is a great camping spot near (north)of the town of Youngstown just up the Niagara river from the Falls. If you continue due north there is a campground right by Fort Niagara on the US side called Four Mile Creek State Park. It is near where Route 93 becomes the lake route Route 18 (18F) the Ontario Seaway. It is about 4 miles (Duh?) from the mouth of the Niagara River draining into Lake Ontario.

Now some fishermen that come up from Penn and Ohio to stay at our cottage near Olcott (further east on Route 18) go fish right around the mouth of the Niagara River on the US side of the lake and they come back year after year so there are plenty o'fish there.

There are several other KOA type of campgrounds near Lewiston and Wilson and I don't know about Artpark but it shows up as a campground. It is a performing arts type of place with concerts and artsy stuff. I saw Gordon Lightfoot there a while back but do not recollect a campground.

There is a good restaurant in Lewsiston (Riverside Inn) over looking the Niagara river. The wine list is the best in the state of NY according to the Wine Spectator. If you adventure further eastward there is a great restaurant in the harbor town of Wilson called the Wilson Boat House. Sunsets are great along Route 18 overlooking Lake Ontario and the skylight of Toronto. There are also additional campgrounds along the lake as you head towards Rochester on Route 18. In a pinch you could probably camp at my families summer(rustic)cottage near Olcott but I would need exact dates and such to coordinate.

There are great places to visit right around the Falls in Canada but I am not aware of good campsites. Hey I'll have to research that. I'm only aware of good wineries. The are is full of them and they make great world famous wines. Inniskilin is a favorite.

Hey that's all for now. Let me know if you need anything else. There are a few listees/limbo types in the area but none of us are too organized. I actually want to do a "Busses by the Falls" LiMBO outing one of these summers and camp at 4-Mile with a caravan over to the Falls. Check out Goat Island and the trip down and under the falls on the US side- nice and cool.

Cheers and good luck. Hey where are you coming from?

Joel 89 Syncro Westy Rochester NY. (currently but with ties to Niagara County)

--- puzerewski <puzerewski@EMAIL.MSN.COM> wrote: > Volks, > Next month going to take the Westy to Niagara Falls.........can > anyone > recommend good, cheap, quiet camp grounds nearby? > > Also, after spending a day or so there, would like to go into > Canada and > camp...put have no info about up there. Figure my money might go > farther, > and show the wife a little Canuck hospitality!! > > I do not want to venture too far into Canada, maybe a hundred > miles or a > little more, but looking for peace and quiet, maybe a little > fishing for > Northern Pike, etc. Any one with recommendations and/or personal > experiences would be helpful. > > Adam Puzerewski > > 81 westy > 74 beetle > 73 Transporter (new!!!!!!!) > > Vanagon Partsmobiles