Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 Jun 2001 13:26:07 -0400
From:         Jay L Snyder <Jay.L.Snyder@USA.DUPONT.COM>
Subject:      Another Two Battery Set-up

I have installed a second Group 41 battery under the rear seat which has 1 AWG cables (+) and (-) directly to the starter. They are both brand new Interstate batteries. The thinking was to disconnect this battery once at the campsite and save it for the trip home. Everything would run off of the stock battery and wiring still under the passenger seat. This set-up is basically two batteries, in parallel, tied together at the solenoid (+) post. The second battery has the lever type disconnects and is mounted in a box. Then I got thinking... I have a brand new VW (Hella) aux. battery kit sitting at home. If I connected only the second battery to the starter, it would become a start only battery and would not have to be disconnected at the campsite. The stock wiring could be disconnected from the solenoid post--it would just go directly to the alternator. The second battery would be re-charged only after the alternator is putting out voltage and closing the aux. battery relay. It would require running a blue wire to the relay, a new red wire from the alternator to the relay and a red wire from the relay to the second battery. Advantages: no disconnecting the (-) cable at the campsite. Stock battery would provide a full 12V to ignition system while cranking (would that make a difference?) Disadvantages: only one battery available for cranking the starter (but is has much shorter, heavier cables than the stock '85 wiring). Anyone think of any other pros or cons? AND THE KEY QUESTION IS: What size wire would be suitable to run from the alternator to the new relay and from the relay to the second battery? I don't want to fry the relay. I think they are good for about 30 amps? Keeping the wire size to about 12 or 14 AWG might be OK?

Jay '85 Westy (The Hindenburg)