Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Jun 2001 16:38:15 -0400
From:         Lon Herman <HermanL@MHMAIL.MH.STATE.OH.US>
Subject:      81 Vanagon Ventilation Problem

I've been away from the list for a few years; tho we've been using our 81 Vanagon Westy faithfully for our summer vacation and trips!

We have a problem with the 81 Westy's ventilation system. The van is air-conditioned (yes, and it works quite well with its updated Sanden compressor) and it has a gas heater (yes, it works too).

It has not been possible to turn off outside air from entering the van. This is important, as it makes the a/c less effective. I disassembled portions of the dask and gauge pod, per the Bentley manual, and have discovered that the main flapper lever for adjusting the amount of air that comes into the van from the outside is jammed in one position that allows some air to come in all of the time. Again, I am talking about the flapper lever, not the control panel lever that is attached to this lever via cable.

Like the foot vents, it appears via bently that the "flapper" rotates on a rod thru the "capsule" that encloses the fan, etc. The left side of this "capsule" seems to have a molded plastic area where the rod might be held into position. But the rod itself isn't visible on the left side (on the right the flapper is, presumably, attached to it). I would like to get the flapper to work without removing the entire "capsule," I haven't had success trying to feel around after disconnecting the air vents from the sides (though I haven't disconnected the one that goes to the vent under the floor between the front seats).

Does anybody have any suggestions? If I cant fix this the right way, I guess I'll have to resort to some removable "patches" over the "defrost" vents on the dash (the only ones I cannot figure out how to stop air influx.

I'm on digest, and please respond to either me directly at this e-mail address or at hermangoodge@msmisp.com

Thanks so much!

Lon Herman 81 Vanagon Westy 67 Porsche 912 .......love those airheads :-)

Lon Herman, Program Director Residency, Training, and Learning Ohio Department of Mental Health 8th Floor, 30 East Broad Street Columbus, Ohio 43215 (614) 752-9703 Alternate E-mail: herman.40@osu.edu

BEGIN:VCARD VERSION:2.1 X-GWTYPE:USER FN:Lon Herman EMAIL;WORK;PREF;NGW:HermanL@mhmail.mh.state.oh.us N:Herman;Lon X-GWUSERID:HermanL END:VCARD