Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Jun 2001 13:12:04 +1000
From:         Stephen Overmyer <s.overmyer@UWS.EDU.AU>
Subject:      Re: Gas Tanks........sealant

Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 20:29:07 EDT From: Steve Cotsford <Cotsford@AOL.COM> Subject: Re: Gas Tanks.......sealant

If you have a problem with a bit of rust and trash in your fuel tank and are prepared to remove the tank, you may want to consider a tank sealant. If you go to a good motorcycle shop and ask for the sealant package, I forget the name, but it comes in 3 bottles.

...The brand name is Kreem.There are some others but Kreem seems to be the most popular & best.

The first neutralises the rust.

...phosphoric acid soln that you add water to...

The second coats the inside of the tank with a flexible fuel proof coating.

...actually it is used to remove all traces of water from rinsing the tank after treating with the phosphoric acid.

The third neutralises the others and sets off the coating I believe.

...the third one IS the coating.Thin with acetone if nesessary.

It takes a few hours and you have to turn the tank around regularly but it does a very effective permanent sealing of the tank. The pack costs about $30 and you may need 2 packs because of the size of the tank but it will enable you to keep your original tank and not have fork out for a new one and deal with different filler sizes etc.

...you probably will need two packs.One pack is only good for up to about a 20liter (5 gal) tank..remembering this stuff is primarilary sold for motorcycle tanks.

Just stop by a motorcycle repair shop and ask them about it. I have done it on 2 vintage bikes and was very satisfied with the result.

...any decent motorcycle shop should have it.Ask for it by name. If you do use it,just make sure you follow the directions verbatim, especially make sure that the moment the tank prep soln (stage 2) is removed you go straight on to the 3rd bottle (the tank liner) for any delay,even 10 mins will result in surface rust starting to reform and you'll need to go back to stage 1 again (ask me how I know...) Kreem will also patch up any small rust holes in tanks so with this stuff you can bring rusty tanks back from the dead & when the process is complete,you'll have a nice smooth white lining on the inside of your tank...which if problems ever do occur can be removed simply with acetone.

I too have used it and am impressed with the results.It just takes some care and time to do right.

Cheers, Steve O Blue Mountains NSW Australia '92 Transporter WBX 2.1 Kombi '76 Transporter Double Cab 2.0 '68 Beetle 1.5 '00 Transporter Double Cab 5Cyl 2.5 (work truck) '48 Fairmont M19 Speeder '60 Telodine TIC Speeder