Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Jun 2001 12:16:16 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Re: RE; Drilling Fiberglass
Comments: To: Terry Kay <CTONLINE@WEBTV.NET>

When mounting roof rack brackets to fiberglass tops/shells, it's always a good idea to use backing plates made of either 1/8-3/16" thick abs plastic(depends on how thin the glass is you're mounting the hardware to. Worth the effort to pull out any headliner etc. to make the backing plates spread the stress load more evenly over the top's surface area. Too stiff or thick a backing plate will cause a stress riser and the top will crack right where the backing plate quits. I've not done a Westy top specifically, but have seen the results of poorly engineered pickup truck applications with their glass camper shell tops. The yakima top and side loader brackets are well worth their price as then you can use less expensive roof rack combinations, but even if you're doing less load-capacity stuff, backing up your fastners is always a good idea, even if it's just some large stainless steel fender washers and nylox nuts for security.

DM&FS ----- Original Message ----- From: "Terry Kay" <CTONLINE@WEBTV.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2001 6:58 AM Subject: RE; Drilling Fiberglass