Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Jun 2001 21:52:18 -0700
From:         Daniel Schmitz <djs@GENE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Porsche 914 heads on Vanagon motor...
Comments: To: jacklockamy@ATT.NET

Jack,

I believe the heads will work with the STOCK vanagon engine, with the following considerations:

1) The 914 2.0 heads are unique to the VW Type 4 engine as used in the 914. You have already noted the 3-bolt intake manifold. In addition, the 914 2.0 uses solid lifters and later examples use a specific rocker arm having 10mm adjusters. If you are retaining your vanagon engine's hydraulic lifters, (which you have to with the hydraulic cam) you will need to use its pushrods as well. However, you may be able to use the rocker arm assembly from the Porsche heads, but you must verify your valve train geometry.

2) The other major difference between the VW and Porsche heads is the angle of the spark plugs: you will have to either modify your Vanagon engine's top sheet metal or obtain the sheet metal from a 914 2.0 engine.

3) The stock piston diameter is 94mm for the 2.0 engine. If you are thinking of using 105mm pistons, either your barrel walls must be very thin where they seat in the head (not good) or you will have to fly-cut the head considerably to get them to fit. I don't know how much material you can remove from the 914 head before it is compromised, so this is something to also consider.

Hope this helps,

Dan Schmitz '75 Porsche 914 2.0 '87 Westfalia

To the list;

A friend of mine has a set of newly rebuilt 914 2.0L heads (42x36 = valves) sitting in his garage collecting dust and taking up space. I = have a Vanagon engine (CV case) that I will be using on my "airboat". =

My Vanagon heads need to be rebuilt with....you guessed it..... 42x36 = valves! The end result is to build a 71x105 (2459cc) engine to power my = "airboat".

Question: Will the Porsche 914 2.0L heads work on a Vanagon engine? I = know the Porsche 2.0L heads have only 3 bolts on the intake manifold, = however that is no problem as I am having to custom build the intake = manifolds anyway. I have heard that the Porsche 2.0L are the best = 2-liter heads available and I can get these for a very fair price.

TIA, Jack Lockamy Camarillo, CA. www.geocities.com/jacklockamy