Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Jun 2001 13:16:24 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Re: Re.Spillage when filling the gas
Comments: To: Dave Baker <DBAKER5@KC.RR.COM>

My spillage history is as follows: Bought 90GL in 4/97 No fill up problems. About last summer, I started with the post-fillup smell. Replaced crossover pipe, grommets, hoses a la Wilfy kit. Smell went away, but a couple tanks of gas later the filler pipe belching started. My van has the later ball in the bottom of the filler neck, so my next course of action will be to replace the valves in the top of the expansion tanks under the front fender wells. Something in these systems isn't breathing properly and is not allowing the escaping air(that's being replaced by the pumped in fuel) to reach the atmosphere, right? Maybe it could be a blockage or constriction in the ball valve assembly at the bottom of the filler neck piece. All I can say, is that the 2WD models didn't do it when they were new, so there has to be something that has failed somewhere.

As far as the Syncros, I'll have to study the Bentley photo on that to see hat might be causing the problem. It seems to me that the air in the gas tank has to escape somehow in order for the tank to fill with any fluid. Try butting the male end of a garden hose up flush to an empty 2 liter Sprite bottle and trying to fill it with various water pressures. You can trickle water in there, but not full flow. Poke a half inch hole in the bottle, and watch the difference in how fast the water goes in now. Got to be a parallel in there somewhere. yeah, Bill Nye, Science Guy wannabe!!

Dimwitted Moose and Flying Squirrel ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Baker" <DBAKER5@KC.RR.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2001 8:09 AM Subject: Re: Re.Spillage when filling the gas