Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Jun 2001 11:29:11 -0700
From:         PSavage <psavage@SABER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Vibration induced electrical failure

Years ago, while driving my (then) '69 baby blue & white Westy over treacherous roads in Guatemala, my electrical system cut out entirely after taking a bump too hard. I was so far out of "civilization"--even by Guatemalan standards, that help seemed unlikely. I pondered by predicament, determined to remain calm. Within less than a minute an idea came to me: I put my bus in neutral & rolled downhill over the offending bump. The bus started right up! Even for me, one of my luckier, intuitive "fixes."

Cheers, Phaedra '85 Westy Basecamp

----- Original Message ----- From: Scott De Santi <Scooter061@AOL.COM> Subject: Vibration induced electrical failure > Oh great and wise list....HELP! > > Whilst traveling back from my favorite fishing hole along a moderately rutted gravel road, the Wobbly Bus got shook up pretty good by some worse ruts. At this time, the headlights extinguished, the overhead fan, and the wipers all quit (YIKES!). Fortunately, it stays light up here until midnight...so it wasn't too dangerous. The next day I got in the Bently, traced out what I thought to be the common point for those circuits, and went out to the van thinking that my ground point behind the fuse block had become loose. No such luck. Spark-chasing engaged. With key on, headlight switch on I have the following symptoms. > > No headlights except when activating the dimmer function of the turn signal arm...then left light only. > > Parking lights, horn, radio, lighter all functional > > No 12v at fuses 9,10,21,22 (headlamps hi/lo) > > All fuses check good...power to back of fuseblock is good > > I'm hoping someone has experienced this before and can > "re-enlighten" me. Thanks. > > Scott De Santi > Anchorage, Alaska > 1986 Vanagon 2WD (Vision Impaired Wobbly Bus)