Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Jun 2001 16:52:33 EDT
From:         Robert Keezer <WarmerWagen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tight Valves/RPM cont.

Pensioner surmised: "if the overall gearing is the same (tire size,&final drive and top gear ratio )' the revs/mile or rpm/mph will be virtually identical."

Since I'm not a gear ratio/rpm expert, I will leave this to you experts.

Am I turning lower revs to get the same speed a WBX does?

I have two WBX Vanagon Westfalias in my driveway that have same size tires, and are lighter. My I-4 Westfalia has same size and type tires, weighs more than the other two Westfalias: Extra propane tank, two catalytic heaters, roof rack, Behr air conditioner, fog lights, trailer hitch, for mudflaps, auxiliary deep cycle battery, smart charger, solar panel, cd changer, power amp, and subwoofer. No wonder it's sits lower than the others!( -I hope it's all still there in the morning)!

Both other Westfalias are bare stock. The route traveled, weather, fuel, distance, the same. I suppose I should use the stop watch between mile posts.

Non of what I claim may be convincing-a ride in all three on the same route might be-The WBX are all in top running condition.

This is a feel test. A see test. take it for a ride and you will feel the difference. You will see the difference, as you can easily merge into traffic up 75 mph in third. merging on to freeways here in America's 2nd worst traffic is a challenge for the WBX westies. I almost always have to slow down to 50 to get behind the traffic in the right lane, which is no safer, as then drivers approach your rear at 70 and change lanes to pass you at the last minute.

I am not a scientist, I don't have a wind tunnel, or a Bunsen burner (will a one burner Coleman do)? But, if you can ever make it out this way, I can burn some Bunsen's if you will like to go for a test drive.

Regards from Seattle,

Robert

[text/html]