Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Jun 2001 17:59:45 -0400
From:         Stephen Steele <steeles@HORIZONVIEW.NET>
Subject:      Re: How to turn the van over from the back
Comments: To: Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz>

Andrew wrote: > Easy to do, if you're very strong (as in superman). > Open tailgate. Stand below tailgate, facing van. Grip right pillar with > right hand, left pillar with left hand. Lift and rotate (either way will > do). You may need to lower van onto its side at the 90-degree point to > change your grip. Continue rotating until inverted. Lower gently. voila. > Van turned over from behind.

I can't believe that you would take the easy way out and turn it over that way! :>

The only way I would ever attempt to turn my van over from the back is to grab it by the bumper... assume a bent knee position and jerk and snap it over head with knees locked....tilting it towards the front bumper... then quickly walk hands toward the front and gravity will take over after about five feet of hand walking the underbelly (this should occur just past the transmission and directly below the rear seat/rear heater area. This is inherently better than the New Zealand method espoused by Andrew for two reasons...

1) the geometry of the front of the van allows for less resistance in the roll; as compared to the side roll and the awkward hand shuffling NZ method

and ...

2) You don't necessarily have to put down the radio antennae

CAUTION! Be sure to do this with the van parked on the grass so as not to scratch up the top once it's turned over.

It's almost Friday (and I get to work tomorrow and will be off the list ''til Sat). -- Stephen Chillicothe OH