Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 Jun 2001 14:49:10 -0600
From:         DrCory <drcory@IGLIDE.NET>
Subject:      long-distance Vanagon buying (I did it)

I recently bought an '85 Vanagon long distance and can relate my success and recomendations.

1) know what you want and be willing to say 'no'(I spent a year and a half looking, with 2 near misses.) 2) Get pictures. (no further explanaition needed) 3) Be bold and ask questions. (Pics of mine showed an '86 grill on the '85. suspecting collision, I asked. found out about the new engine (inline 4) and transmission (5 speed) that was not in the original info!!!) 4)Don't fall 'in love' with it just yet. (in all of the pictures, there was none of the right rear quarter. I was so thrilled I never noticed the absence. So I didn't see the minor damage over the rear wheelwell until I picked it up. Also, the mileage was off from advertised.) 5) Be sure you get all proper paperwork. (I called local DMV and my insurance Before, to be sure I had a list of all that I would need.) 6) Expect that the car will not be perfect. Know what is important and what you can tolerate. (Aside from the minor body damage, mine had a dead airconditioner compressor and an exhausr leak.) 7) Since its long distance, price and logistics of delivery will need to be considered. (I flew out and drove back. Added $250 to the price.) 8) Run the VIN. maybe should be #1.(CARFAX.com. $20. don't get cheap on this) 9) If its not what you expected upon pick-up be ready to walk away. This is the first 'in person' inspection you will likely have.(flew to SF to pick up mine to drive home. all through the flight out I was mentally prepareing my self to fly back if needed. see #4)

I also had a few pleasant surprises. with the new engine came some upgrades in the electrics that I couldn't see and didn't know to ask. dual batteries, new stereo, additional sound insulation.

I did pay for the engine and trans. but based on the jaw drop of my Vanagon Mechanic, and even though I'll be spending more to fix those other issues, I believe I got a good deal.

In conclusion, when buying long distance, keep your wits and think it through. Work out the logistics of transfer and be willing to say no. After all there are a lot of these vans out there.

Cory Hawkins '85 Eurospec Conversion "Spunky"

-------------------- Life is not what happens to you... But how you choose to respond to it!!!