Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Jun 2001 09:28:41 -0700
From:         Michael Edwards <mpedwards@LYCOS.COM>
Subject:      Aux oil Cooler setup
Comments: To: Aircool List <type2@type2.com>

Hi All, A fellow listmember has offered to sel me his old oil cooler setup off of a 79 2.0L to fit to my 82 westy vanagon 2.0L. Below is a description of what he is offering, and I would like the list's opinion as to whether or not this is the ideal setup for an aux cooler. I am not familiar with the engine compartment setup on a 79 and how it differs from a Vanagon, so will this work or do i have to modify it? Here it is: "The set up was on a 79 2.0 liter air cooled motor. It consisted of an evaporator coil from a 75 MonteCarlo made by harrison with female 1/2 npt aluminum collars welded on each end for the AN 8 fittings for the hoses. I had a thermostat in line with bypass that would open at 165 and be full flow by 185. if you don't like those numbers, the valve is made by Amot and they have interchangeable guts so the valve sill work in many differnt temp ranges. The hoses are Aeroquip Aircraft quality stainless steel wrapped teflon hoses good to over 400 degrees. The remote filter was a ford and the engine lasted over 100k before the rebuild. The water cooled engine is the one tyhat's real picky about whicvh filte it gets. You can buy a Bosch filter for a Ford if you want!! My cooler sat flat in the driver's side of the engine compartment with an air box and scoop around it so its heat didn't get recirculated in to the enigne's cooling fan and negate the initial cooling of the oil by making the heads and cyl run hotter!. This system really worked well." How does that sound? Would I be better off with a electric fan assembly under the slider/pass side of van? Any input greatly appreciated! Thanks Mike 82 westy

Get 250 color business cards for FREE! http://businesscards.lycos.com/vp/fastpath/