Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Jun 2001 23:40:04 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: How to diagnose a propane regulator?
Comments: To: Joel Cort <joel_cort@YAHOO.COM>

At 09:39 PM 6/7/2001, Joel Cort wrote: >If I remove the brass tubing pipes going from the regulator to the >burners and the fridge I get propane hissing out. When I reconnect >the lines .... nothing at the burner. > >Do the symptoms described here characterized a bad propane >governor/regulator?

Short answer: Probably. Make a U-tube manometer (10 feet of clear tubing with a U-bend giving two vertical legs at least three feet high, with at least 18-inch depth of water in the bottom of the U ). Secure it to a board or similar so you can keep it roughly vertical. Apply the end to the regulator output and open gas valve. Let a little gas escape, then reapply, and measure the [precisely] vertical distance between the meniscii of the water -- the specification is 11 inches difference between the two, *not* 11 inches drop in one side or rise in the other (this is about 6 oz per square inch).

If you get 11", look for pipe blockages?? I'm guessing you won't, and that you need a new Marshall Brass 260 (exact repl, no longer made) or 290 (two inches longer, a nuisance but you can bend the tubing carefully).

The regulator is adjustable by turning a plug in the large (low-pressure) section, but it shouldn't change calibration much once it's set...

david

David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"