Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Jun 2001 21:14:21 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      How tight is too tight, new TypeIV starting.

Well I finally got my engine built (2000cc TypeIV in 83 Westfalia with manual tranny) and installed in the 83 Westfalia, but ! You guessed it I've got a problem. The engine is very tight, it rotated just fine as I tightened up the engine fan and flywheel so I figured it was fairly tight from the resistance I was feeling. I had to lock the flywheel while applying torque.

I can put the vehicle in third gear and push it by hand to turn the engine and adjust the valves and set the initial timing but my starter gives it about three go-arounds and just gives up. I have a couple of starters and both basically do the same thing, just a few turns and they give out.

I've ordered a new starter and solenoid and a pilot bushing for the bell-housing.

I am assuming that a new starter will be much stronger than the antiques I've got; but I'm thinking about giving the vehicle a push around the block and dropping the clutch in gear a few times, ignition off to loosten things up a bit before I risk burning up a new starter.

Have you ever had real tight engines that required this?

I've rebuilt a lot of small block chevy engines and they often required new starters.

I've lubed the cylinders and backed the valve setting off to 1.5 turns from just touching the drained lifters.

I thought about using some "ether" to give it a jolt but thought the round the block trip would get the oil into the lifters and make the engine easier to start after I get the new starter.

If this trip round the block brings up oil preassure (got a gauge) I'd go ahead and turn the ignition on and start it for some minor tuning and break-in.

I'd like to have your reccomendations as to which way to go.

Stan Wilder

________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.