Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Jun 2001 09:31:14 -0700
From:         Charles McGehee <chasm@ELLTEL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Two Oil Change Questions
Comments: To: Dave Baker <DBAKER5@KC.RR.COM>

I, too, have been told by my mechanic to use the Wix filter which is also said to be marketed as "Big A" and "Napa Gold," among possible others. If you look inside it has a spring loading which, apparently, acts to keep the oil in. It is supposed to filter better, too. As for the strip of metal, I can't imagine what that might be. Better ask someone more knowledgeable about the innerds of VW engines.

Charles '85 Westy

At 10:58 AM 6/16/01 -0500, Dave Baker wrote: >Howdy, all. > >Just back from my NM trip, I decided to change the oil in my 85 Westy. > >1. Now, the books say to check for bits of metal in the old oil when you >drain it. Last time, it was ok (about 3k miles ago). This time, I found a >single, paper-thin piece of metal, about 3/16 inch long and 1/16 inch wide. >Am I in trouble? > >2. I'm trying a Wix filter (p/n 51342). The guy at my FLAPS said it has >one of those cool valves to retain oil when the engine is shut off. No >mention of this feature on the box it came in, though. Anyone have any >experience with these? > >Thanx in advance for the help. > >Dave in KC >85 Westy >http://members.fortunecity.com/davebaker1 > >p.s. - I'm using Quaker State 10W-40.