Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Jun 2001 14:05:57 -0700
From:         Mark Drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Update on Last call for overheating help
Comments: To: John Flaherty <jflahert@MAINE.RR.COM>

John, that is the Voltage Stabilizer in the dash. It's only job is to keep the temp and fuel gauge readings consistent. A new one is about $10.

Mark

John Flaherty wrote: > > First, I want to thank everyone who responded to my post with suggestions > and support. The list is great. > > After driving the van for a few days ( in pretty hot whether) I think my > problem is electrical. I think the gauge is giving me false readings. I > noticed that it doesn't happen all the time. And when it did happen, my gas > gauge went from being almost in the red to showing half a tank. It stayed > there for about ten minutes. Finally, both gauges went down to normal. This > has happened several times, and it always seems to affect both gauges > simultaneously. > > Any of the electrical wizards out there know how I can track this gremlin > down? > > BTW, I'm keeping my van. It had been so long since I'd driven it that I had > forgotten how much I love it. > > John Flaherty > Portland, ME > '84 GL > > > John Flaherty wrote: > > > > > > Hi all, > > > > > > Well the new radiator's in. And......STILL running hot. I'm stumped. To > > > recap: > > > > > > 84 1.9 Liter. 1 year old water pump. Noticed it running hot as the > whether > > > warmed up and I stopped using the heat. Running the front and rear > heaters > > > would return the gauge to normal. Radiator fan didn't appear to be > coming on > > > when the gauge read hot. I could place my palm on the "hot" radiator and > > > hold it there comfortably. Front heater blew lukewarm air. > > > > > > Step 1: Jumped radiator fan switch. Fan worked. Replaced switch. Still > > > running hot. Still no fan when hot. Still able to palm radiator. > > > > > > Step 2: replaced thermostat. Still hot, no fan, palm radiator. > > > > > > Step 3: Replaced radiator. Still hot. Can only touch radiator for a > second, > > > it's quite hot now. Heard fan while bleeding, on both low and hi. While > test > > > driving today, gauge went almost all the way to the top white line > before I > > > shut it down. No fan. Hot air from front heater. > > > > > > I'm stumped. And out of patience. This is (was) my daily driver. Between > > > redoing the front end and cooling system, I've spent almost $1,500 just > in > > > parts this year. And I still don't have a van to drive. Haven't driven > it, > > > really, in three months. I can't keep doing this. I'll give it one more > > > week, but if I don't have it fixed, or at least an almost certain idea > of > > > what's wrong, I'm going to have to cut my losses. So if anyone out there > has > > > any ides, I'd love to hear them. Otherwise, my association with busses > (and > > > VW in general; I don't fit comfortably in the cars or the Eurovan) will > be > > > drawing to a close shortly. > > > > > > Thanks, > > > > > > John Flaherty > > > Portland, Maine