Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 Jun 2001 17:06:20 -0400
From:         Robert Donalds <bostneng@FCL-US.NET>
Subject:      Boston Bobs history of vanagon hydraulic lifters and the bentley
              book
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net>

Fellow Vanagon types I have been reading the posts on adjusting lifters with interest, as I am currently putting together an article on my experience with vanagon hydraulic lifters. The vanagon book published by Bentley is about to be reprinted. For years, Bentley Publishing has worked hard to review comments from the those that have taken the time to write or phone things in that they felt needed to be corrected or clarified every time the book is reprinted. The next printing will include some 50 changes. One of these changes will be about bleeding and adjusting the hydraulic lifters. There were 2 versions of how to bleed the air out of the hydraulic lifter before installation. They where on pages 15.7 and 15.24. both where confusing and vague. Bentley also has in the vanagon CD released last year added what they call an "editors note". This note says, in part That there is a problem with hydraulic lifters becoming air bound and that preloading Hydraulic valves should be considered optional This editors note will also be in the newest printing of the big green book. With the help of Erin at AVP, plus the constant feed back from my customers and the nice people of this list, I have come up with a simple method for removing all the air from the Hydraulic lifters prior to installation. This method does not solve or prevent the lifters from pulling in air after the engine has been sitting and it is not a solution for air bound lifters that DO expand when the engine heats up. Air bound lifters DO hold the valves when the engine warms up. The 006.ths clearance cold is needed when air is present in the lifters 0 lash will not do. The most common symptoms of air bound lifters are poor performance running rich and low manifold vacuum. It has been my observations that preloading properly bled lifters will self adjust in as little as 10 minutes. It has been my experience air bound lifters will NEVER self adjust when preloaded or bleed because of the air that is trapped above the check valve. The extent of the problem varies widely. I know there will be those that disagree with me. My completed article will be posted on my web site in the very near future. Bob Donalds http://www.bostonengine.com