Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 Jun 2001 16:44:59 -0700
From:         Bill N <freeholder@STARBAND.NET>
Subject:      Re: VW Porn, free speech, gray water tanks, air pollution,
              and cell phones while driving

I thought the warning was more than ample. Porn is not an very ambiguous term, and it was right in the subject line. Adult Content is also pretty clear. If "I had a pair of young eyes sitting on my lap waiting for another round of 'cool' WV pics," as one writer said, I wouldn't open something with a subject line containing Porn, and if I did, I wouldn't click on a link with an Adult Content warning clearly printed above it. In addition to those warnings, the link itself contains the word "galleries" once, and the word "teen" twice. Anyone who has been surfing the net for any length of time at all would recognise those as code words for porn, even assuming they missed the porn and adult content warnings. No, let me take that back. Anyone who missed the porn and adult content warnings would be unlikely to notice the warning signs in the link, no matter how obvious.

Of course, free speech is probably my #1 political priority, followed closely by scientific conservationism (as opposed to the non-scientific, hysterical version you read about so much). For instance, even though we love our Westy, I always feel a twinge of guilt when I drive it, because I know it pollutes more that a new vehicle would. I justify it because by using an older vehicle, we are saving all the resources it would take to build a new replacement.

Besides, we don't smoke, so think of all the pollution we don't create by not burning a bunch of pounds of tobacco and paper every year. On the other hand, I do use my cell phone while driving sometimes, and I know some list members consider that deplorable. I would favor a law banning that activity, as long as it also bans other activities while driving, such as smoking and eating a burger.

Meanwhile, I am in the process of installing a gray water tank on my '81 Westy. I already know I have to move where the drain goes through the floor inside the cabinet, and I have to make some sort of bracket to hold the front of the tank. Is there anything else I have to be sure to do?

Well, let's run through the checklist on my post. It has Vanagon content. It also has enough political opinions that at least one of them should offend pretty much everybody. I am reminded of a bumper sticker that was designed to offend everyone who saw it. "Nuke the gay whales for Jesus."

Happy father's day,

Bill

[text/html]