Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Jun 2001 14:44:55 -0600
From:         Damian Shaw <dts@XMISSION.COM>
Subject:      Re: A/C leaking inside!
Comments: To: OuiSki1@AOL.COM

Scott;

I've been retrofitting a stock a/c system into my westy for a while now so I'm quite familiar with its operation:

1 - yes, the radiator fan is supposed to run non-stop when the a/c is running. It's wired to do that.

2- if your a/c is stock and your van is an 88 then you have a different radiator fan and controlling electronics than most vanagons. In yours the rad fan is MUCH larger and it has three stages: a/c on / low; medium; and hurricane. The controlling relays are supposed to be: One on the fusebox and one behind the driver's fresh air vent (in the dash). Behind the driver's headlamp is the resistor that controls the low and medium speed - I guess if that got wet or something it could cause the operation you mentioned... Otherwise the relays should be fine.

3 - there are two drain hoses for the water that come off of your a/c condensor. These hoses run from the rear overhead unit into the d-pillars. If you pull the black vents (on the outside, rear upper of the van (aka D-pillars)) you'll find the hoses just inside these. They may be plugged. Worse, if your retrofit guy pulled the condensor out of the ceiling unit (which he should on a retrofit) he may not have gotten those hoses reconnected thus the water isn't getting outside but is running down from the overhead unit. The water tray that sits under that consensor has its outlet hoses in the front corners of the overhead unit. If that appears to be the water's source then it's very likely that your drain hoses aren't connected...

I could help you more if I knew what model you have (westy or not). The non-westy is probably a lot easier to get into that overhead unit. In the westy it is close to impossible to work on those overhead units; I had to pull the ceiling out, the side shelves / curtain rods, the rear clothes closet, and, of course, the overhead housing. It's a nasty, nasty job.

Good luck and feel free to email with questions.

Damian