Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Jun 2001 15:45:42 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: censorship
Comments: To: Bill N <freeholder@STARBAND.NET>

I really hate to prolong this thread, but I haven't the discipline to leave this lying...

At 11:44 AM 6/19/2001, Bill N wrote: >You open a can of worms that the courts have recently refused to >touch. There is no generally accepted definition of >pornography. Everyone thinks they know what it is, but nobody can define >it or agree on a definition.

Curiously enough nobody seems to have had the slightest trouble recognizing this sample. "Pornography" is undoubtedly a word with situational definitions -- in this case it's been defined as "what the list admin says it is" and in context it's quite clear that overt sexual activity with the intention to titillate meets his definition as well as that of some noticeable percentage of the list. It's also clear that...

> >To many religious groups, a woman in a bikini is pornography, and some >only require the face or ankles to be uncovered. I guess this means no >more links to photos of campouts, unless your intention is to enforce the >views of some moralistic groups and discriminate against those of other groups.

...does not fall into his definition, nor have list members complained about them.

> I hope not, because that would be bigotry. No particular religion's > beliefs should be favored here. If you want to ban things offensive to > the born-again Christian crowd, you should certainly ban things offensive > to Moslems, Hindus, Wiccans, or any other religion.

This is by no means only or even primarily a religious issue -- I think that questions of civility, courtesy, politeness and good taste as exemplified in the society at large enter in as well. This list has always had a sense implied or otherwise of the spectrum of desirable / acceptable / unwise but tolerable / really pushing it / unacceptable. All that has happened here is that one of the boundaries of unacceptable has been made explicit. This is not Liberty Hall -- we are not free to "spit on the mat and call the cat a bastard."

> >Censorship always starts because some well-meaning person thinks they know >what is best for the group. It happens because some person or group feels >morally justified in imposing their view of how things should be on >everyone. The people who do this think they are right, but they are >not. I know you mean well, but your attitude is more dangerous to our >freedoms than any outside enemy.

I'm sorry, this is not a free-speech venue, and therefore not a free-speech issue. Tom is imposing his views on members of this list *writing to this list.* He is at perfect liberty to ban use of the word "blue" if he so chooses, if he thinks it would benefit the list or merely if it suits his own taste. People who disagree with his taste are reminded of the old Maine story of the Moose-Turd Pie...

david

David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"