Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Jun 2001 15:00:22 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <jhrodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: It's not moving...UGH!!!
Comments: To: Durby Suniga <Durbys@PLAID.COM>

To sell it because you are having a bit of a problem is to fall prey to the "throw-away" mentality that exists in America today!! An to throw away a Vanagon Wolfsburg just because of a little mechanical problem.....I can't imagine. Nothing runs forever, even us, but if we do some maintenance on ourselves we can get a lot more mileage on these bods, and so it is with the Vanagons.

I don't drive an automatic, so can't go for the specifics, but just want to offer some encouragement. Even if you have to rebuild the tranny completely, if done by a competent tranny mechanic you will get a lot of carefree miles out of it.

So don't sell, fix and enjoy!!

Btw, sounds like the tranny fluid may be low...did you check it?

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver Durby Suniga wrote: > > My worst nightmare has occurred. My 87 'automatic' Wolfburg Vanagon has > died. Now my Vanagon has had some recent transmission problems where when > you step on the accelerator, it just revs and then accelerates very slowly > and then finally shifts into the next gear and moves. Well, my friend was > borrowing the Vanagon to move some of her furniture and she stepped on the > accelerator and the van didn't move!!! Now the Vanagon sits on the side of > the road in a residential area. > Other than getting it towed, is there anything I can try to do to get it > back home? Or is the easiest thing to do is get it towed. At this point, > my wife thinks I should just get it towed to a local VW mechanic and ask if > he wants to buy it!!! In need of some advice. > > Vanagon full of woes