Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Jun 2001 16:56:30 -0400
From:         "Horace K. Sawyer" <hksawyer@CATT.COM>
Subject:      Re: censorship
Comments: To: Bill Kasper <dragonlist@IPMTS.UCSC.EDU>

>i've seen this discussion of "freedom of speech" on many moderated lists. > Hopefully all know I was kidding about having a screaming fit about free speech. : ) (Not that I don't have those on a regular basis) I guess its just the lawyer thing. And that facet of freedom is never, never to be taken for granted. Just ask those in the 'Nam, and others.

But in this List context, there is no absolute freedom of speech. The First Amendment is a protection against governmental action to silence opposition. The List is privately created and maintained. The List owner can pretty much run it or regulate how he/she wants, provided it does not damage other person's rights.

I agree porn links shouldn't be posted on here at all -- EXCEPT for reasons I can't quite explain, I almost feel like an exception could have been made for the "link in question." Obviously, the only reason for this must be the fact that the action was taking place in a vanagon. Heck, we are in fact free to choose or not to choose to see it. That could end the inquiry. But the link did relate to vanagons. No can deny that. And it did teach the value of good shocks. Oh, it had a shock value. : 0 It was really and truly a different sort of bucking syndrome, as earlier described. : ) It was different and unexpected; it was a Friday type post which may have uplifted the spirits of the downtrodden, yet undoubtedly some were offended. How to foresee who will feel what?

But Tom's decision is made, and right or wrong (in the eyes of the beholder) we live it. It will be tough -- no doubt -- but I will do my best to comply. There will be no appeal.

HK