Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Jun 2001 05:06:59 -0000
From:         Mike Finkbiner <mike_l_f@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Boston Bob Engine, Low Compression and Low Vacuum - Good News

Volks -

Good news! Bob and I discussed the problem last week, and he explained the conclusions he had reached about needing to adjust the valves differently. (See his recent post for details)

He called my mechanic, Randy, to explain what he wanted, and today I got the valves adjusted.

Randy said that while working on them he noticed the exhaust valve lifter on #4 was quite soft. We hope that without the constant tension on the lifter it will have a chance to pump up.

The vacuum, which has been 6-8#, came up to 10# at idle, and the tiniest increase in rpm brings it up to 12-13#

The idle also seems a bit smoother, and pickup off the line is noticably better. Before I had a sort of sag in power while the rpms came up. It is much less noticable now.

On the highway, there seems to be a bit more power. I took my test over the shoulder of Moscow Mt. (2700' to 3000' in ~ 1.5 miles, then back down to 2700' in ~2 miles) and still had to get down to 3rd fairly quickly going up, but when I turned around and came back over the hill on the slightly easier grade, I was able to pull it in 4th. The last little bit brought me down almost to 50, but it maintained 55 up to that point. Last week both would have been 3rd gear.

I'm happy. This weekend I will put about 120 highway miles on the blue beast, and will let you know how it runs and what the mileage is. We might still have to do some adjustments to get the fuel/air mixture right, but that will come.

I still haven't found the source of the occasional engine cutout. Based on lots of good advice from folks on the list, I have checked wiring connections, wiggled relays, and cleaned grounds. Now I'm carrying a spare ecu relay and ignition switch, as well as the spare ecu. I figure I'll try replacing them one at a time if it acts up again, and see what happens.

It's odd that it doesn't do it around town, especially if it's a short. I would think that the additional flexing you get from start and stop traffic would exacerbate the problem, but - hey - it's a Vanagon!

If things run well this weekend, I hope to stop fiddling with the engine until I get back from my vacation in July, and give it another 1000 miles to settle in. Then we'll check the compression and see if it's up where it belongs.

Right now, though, I'm a much happier camper than I was a couple of weeks ago. Bob has been a big help, and I really appreciate his willingness to work with me and Randy.