Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Jun 2001 01:52:54 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Re: Exercise while camping.?
Comments: To: Jean-Guy Savoie <jgsavoie@NBNET.NB.CA>

I was going to suggest Military pressing the 80# canoe on top of the Westy! Actually paddling the canoe(with good technique of course!!) is a pretty good workout also, but if that isn't enough resistance training, tie a long bungie cord from the stern ofthe boat to the boat dock and flail away. The scenery doesn't change, but your heart rate will increase!! Intentionally running both batteries down so you have to physically push start the van is another option. But the Posturepedic pushups behind the drawn curtains? That's not exercise, that's cementing the relationship!!

Seriously, there's nothing wrong with doing simple body weight exercises while on trips. A change in the Bowflex routine might actually be good for you and the Mrs. Pushups, situps, pull ups, and pulling two picnic tables a couple feet apart will make a decent dip station if you bend you knees, and an 8-12# pr. of dumbells should get you a decent workout. I have seen an amazing amount of resistance built while using the Physical Therapist's gray surgical tubing. Looping it over a side view mirror can get you some resistance as well.

I've also seen folks park in the back of fancy lodges and pop out in their athletic attire and slide on in the "mini" gym advertised. Which employee is going to have the audacity to ask you which room you are in? Traveling through towns with health clubs, you could pretend to be interested in joining and bum a free visit or two(or fell guilty and ask how much they'd charge for a couple visits. I actually carry a plastic covered 10# barbell weight to put under my jack in case I have a flat in soft ground country.

If you want to exercise while traveling, you'll find a way.

Mark Twain once said every time he got the urge to exercise, he'd lie down until it went away.

Dimwitted Moose and Flying Squirrel ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jean-Guy Savoie" <jgsavoie@NBNET.NB.CA> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2001 9:54 PM Subject: Re: Exercise while camping.?