Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Jun 2001 10:36:55 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Wire Leaked it's smoke
Comments: To: Boroko <marokus@voyager.net>

At 07:52 AM 6/20/2001, Boroko wrote: >Is there a circuit that you have seen that could be fused that would save >one from this problem?

The engine compartment circuit in the '87s is fed by a 2.5 wire from alternator B+ to a distribution terminal in the terminal box on the firewall, Bentley 97.104 track 5. From there it goes as a 1.5 to the 30 terminals of the ECU and fuel pump relays, 97.106 track 31-2. ECU relay 87 feeds all the injector hots plus the fuel pump relay 86 terminal, plus the idle stabilizer and power-steering switch.

A short to ground anywhere along this path will smoke the harness between the short and the distribution box.

>Oh, and I have been through the shorted injector problem. Floods in >milliseconds to the point that it runs out the exhaust seams.

That would be an ECU failure or a short from the injector ground to chassis ground (the ECU fires the injectors by grounding them).

david

David Beierl - dbeierl@attglobal.net