Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Jun 2001 21:26:49 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <jhrodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: is it bad to take out t-stat?
Comments: To: Andrew Fox <afox@USGS.GOV>

Check the old or put in a new -- and I prefer new -- thermostat. I have have more than one or two thermostats over the years seize in the closed position or nearly closed. This will definitely cause the engine to run hotter. In all likelyhood, that will take care of the problem .....in all likelyhood. But it may not. But it is the place to start. Then bleed the system well to get rid of the air. My main mechanic prefers lifting the back end rather than the front end to bleed the system. seems to work, but there is a good bit of disagreement on that. For the sake of convenience its good. Get on a really sttep grade. Run the engine with the expansion tank cap off. After the engine is warm, run at the rpm specified by bentley and watch for bubbles to escape. Fill tank until the coolant level stabilizes. Replace the cap. Done. Hopefully there will be no more bubbles, and it will run cooler.

Good luck,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver

Andrew Fox wrote: > > Anyone know if any part of the cooling system on an 86 2.1 L Vanagon can > be damaged by driving without the t-stat in? My van is overheating a > little and until i figure out why it is overheating and correct the problem > i could use a little more cooling to get the gauge down from about 3/4 down > to normal. I'm already driving around blasting both heaters. If its ok > does the whole system need to be bled after removing the t-stat? I'm > living out of my van for the rest of the summer and don't have a spare car > to drive until its fixed. > Thanks, > Andrew Fox