Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Jun 2001 13:48:03 +1000
From:         Stephen Overmyer <s.overmyer@UWS.EDU.AU>
Subject:      Re: Injectors Recall

Volks,

I had my injectors replaced under this recall programme on my '92* Transporter some years back.I thought it applied to '88 - '92* Transporters but as Jerry says below,get VW to run a check on your VIN and that'll tell you for sure if you are entitled.It could possibly be only '90-on.Memory fails me on this point.

The reason for the recall is that under some circumstances, the rubber O-ring around the injector didn't seal correctly (I wonder if they were manufactured by Morton-Thyacol;)?) and this allowed the egress of water past the seal,resulting in hard starting and rough idle. The entire injector is replaced,not just the seal but I have no knowlege of distrubution rails,fuel lines etc being part of the deal.That was certainly not my experience and given the recall was due to the potential problem I mentioned above, I'm not sure VW would see fit to change things,esp at their expense,that weren't directly involved.As I said,when I had them done,only the injectors were replaced.Perhaps YMMV...

I had never experienced the starting/idling problems that could apparantly occur,however my then-neighbours had a '90 model Transporter and it had experienced the said problem. Theirs was never garaged but mine was,religiously every night (still is)and given I live in mountainous surroundings (just been declared World Heritage - yay!) and mornings are cool,I wonder if the condensation that inevitably occurred in the engine bay of the neighbours van was responsible whilst mine,snug in it's garage was less affected.Anyway, that's my theory and I'm sticking to it :)

I still had the injectors replaced even though I didn't have the problem,but hey new injectors for free...that don't come along every day.Saved me buying some injector cleaner at next service...;)

Cheers, Steve O Blue Mountains NSW Australia '92 Transporter 2.1 Kombi (original owner) '76 Transporter 2.0 Double Cab '68 Beetle 1.5 '00 Transporter 2.5 Double Cab (work truck)

* Transporters were sold in Oz for longer than the US,hence the '92 year model.Mine was actually built at Graz in Austria as Hannover was already tooling up for the T4.I do know of one T3 Transporter Camper that first sold/registered as late as 1993.Syncros especially were sold right up to near the end of '92 (cos they came from Graz too...) *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* At 22:34 20/06/01 -0400, lotsa volks wrote:

Subject: Re: Injectors Recall > >All, >This recall came out in February of '94 and was called Recall Campaign RV. >They will replace the fuel injectors, distribution rails, fuel lines, hoses >and clamps and they even put an outer cover over the fuel lines. >It applied to "some 1990/91 model Vanagons and Syncros". >The only way to find out is have them run your VIN. >Just do it. > >Jerry >----- Original Message ----- >From: "Jere & Beth Hawn" <jbrschawn@EARTHLINK.NET> >To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> >Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2001 3:12 PM >Subject: Injectors Recall > > >> Hi Y'all >> >> I went to the VW Dealer to investigate the shoulder belt issue and got the >> "blank stare". I guess as a consolation prize they ran my VIN and said >that >> I had an open recall item and the injectors needed to be replaced under >the >> recall. >> >> Anyone know what the details of this are about? >> >> Jere >> 90 GL >> 88 GL > >------------------------------ > >Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 19:49:35 -0500 >From: John Rodgers <jhrodgers@CHARTER.NET> >Subject: Re: Injectors Recall > >Yeah, good questions. I drive an 88 GL also. > >John Rodgers > >mayfly95 wrote: >> >> Was the recall on both the 88 and 90 ?? >> >> Mike >> 87 westy >> 87wolf >> 85 gl >> >> ----- Original Message ----- >> From: Jere & Beth Hawn <jbrschawn@EARTHLINK.NET> >> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> >> Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2001 6:12 PM >> Subject: Injectors Recall >> >> > Hi Y'all >> > >> > I went to the VW Dealer to investigate the shoulder belt issue and got the >> > "blank stare". I guess as a consolation prize they ran my VIN and said >> that >> > I had an open recall item and the injectors needed to be replaced under >> the >> > recall. >> > >> > Anyone know what the details of this are about? >> > >> > Jere >> > 90 GL >> > 88 GL >> >