Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Jun 2001 21:27:19 -0800
From:         Mark Keller <kelphoto@ISLANDNET.COM>
Subject:      Re: Update on Waterboxer vs Transplant Power Options
Comments: To: FrankGRUN@aol.com

Frank,

I read your comments on the recent post involving bad things on the list. I had written the article you referred too. I wrote a response, see below, but didn't send it for a variety of reasons. Mainly I don't want to fight over opinions and I felt that my comfort level with list postings was limited to what I could do by helping others in a tangible way. My comments about High Rpm power and such were just my own way of looking at the topic. But here goes a few of my questions.

> C. Is it fuel economy or fuel efficiency? This is another severely distorted > perception. Its a heavy foot that drains the tank of a properly maintained > engine/vehicle package not rpm. I have been meaning to post a polemic on fuel > efficiency based on experiments I did over our latest 3000 mile adventure on > the US Interstate system. But to summarize, the actual fuel economy was > established by load, not simply velocity. Following load using my trusty VDO > vacuum gauge, I tested long term constant vacuum running with constant RPM > cruising. MPG varied from 12 to 24 mpg. The results are consistent with fuel > consumption maps published by VW and these I have translated. These show that > the fuel consumed is related to the work required and not simply to the > swept volume of air at a fixed Air/Fuel ratio. >

I felt your post was impressive in the manner which you have applied technical knowledge to a real world application. I was particularly interested in the power/fuel consumption at high Rpm data you referred to. I would very much like to see the evidence to that effect if you could link or post it.

> A. Is it engine lifetime? This is a legitimate concern in the case of > engines designed for sub 4000 rpm operation (as in most American Iron). But > for machines designed (piston rings, cylinder wall metallurgy, valves and > valve seats) for high speed operation (5000 to 6500 rpm) 250,000 mile > longevity is built-in. Indeed, the peak connecting rod shock loads and > bearing stress loads are often greatest for small displacement engines when > the engine is operated at full load at low rpm. In the European market the > inline 4 engine routinely sees continuous duty at 5500 to 6000 rpm. >

Another item on high rpm that wasn't brought up is that piston ring speeds in excess of 1000 ft per minute, around 4000 rpm on the waterboxer, have higher wear due to harmonic resonance, if you could comment further I'd appreciate it. This tidbit came from a mechanic that works extensively on race motors and such, so I don't where the data came from. I did correlate a green zone on the waterboxer tach up to this piston speed so felt there was some merit to it.

The other comfort issue was would a new VW engine driven at RPM's you advocate still have a "warranty"? I called VW, and got someone that didn't have any inclination mechanical. My person sense is that the RPM speeds do have an effect on engine life, and the manufacture's limit of liability would not include high rpms.

Original unsent draft

Frank,

Thanks for your comments. I feel your last paragraph where you said:

I am currently preparing a 2.0 L Audi 3A bubble block which will run the 8V Digifant head, stock compression, a SAAB T3 turbo charger operating at 4 to 6 psi (controlled by the SAAB APC system), SAAB fuel injectors, a G60 pressure controlled ECU and modified intake manifold with integral air-to-liquid intercooler. Hopefully this will have the torque of the 2.0 L engine with on demand modest power assist.

It is thi "on demand power" that I have been referring to. I define this as the power reserve while cruising 65 mph and 3800. If I want to either maintain this speed up hill, or carry more weight at this speed, and up hills or pass someone, I would prefer to have the power available without downshifting, or having to get a run at the obstacle or risk bleeding off speed. I believe your new motor address this issue well-- on demand power assist.

Sincerely,

Mark Keller 91 Carat

FrankGRUN@aol.com wrote: > > Mark, > > I've been staying out of this exchange till now but have to offer a few > comments. > > First, I have the published power curves for the WBX and Audi engines. These > curves are done by VW and represent more than a few dyno runs. I can send > references or scan the curves from the original papers if you are interested. > > Second, after painful experience, I can assure you that the power figures and > the curve shapes obtained on chassis dyno runs are fleeting and take serious > work to reproduce. Estimated power gains are based on technical fiction > unless based in a real measurement. Anecdotal estimates (based on the > evidence given by a vested advocate) are generally as meaningless as > unwritten assurances by car sales personnel. Anecdotal measurements (single > results) have some limited value compared to anecdotal estimates. > > Measurements of power at the wheels on the road can be made and are probably > are more accurate than chassis dyno measurements. This requires a straight > and level stretch of highway, an accurate stopwatch, a calibrated speedometer > and immediate knowledge of the mass of the vehicle (as in weigh it with a > full tank in the same test configuration just before the test). Many sites on > the Internet treat the subject in detail. Also, an inexpensive device called > the "Road Dyno" is available to seriously map the power curve. I am currently > testing this device. Unfortunately it requires a PC computer to support both > hardware and software and I am currently trying to get Virtual PC and the > Powerbook G3 to cooperate, but no success yet. This system measures the > acceleration of the vehicle on the millisecond timescale to measure the power > curve. > > Third, I have copies of the summary design information for the waterboxer > (1.9 and 2.1 liter engines) detailing some of the engineering that went into > the original hardware. These articles are still in the original German. I > will eventually translate them, but other projects are more pressing. I could > pass on scanned copies as requested. > > Fourth, (in response to your comment that triggered this note) as owner of an > inline 4 conversion ('90 8V, 1.8 L Digifant), I am happily buzzing along with > the original DZ transmission. With my 215/75 x 15 Yokohama Geolander AT+ > tires, my tach shows 3740 rpm at 60 mph in 4th. It also shows 5860 rpm at 65 > mph in 3rd. The engine is redlined at 6500 rpm and on several desperate > onramp merging maneuvers, I have run up to 70 mph (6300 rpm) before > downshifting. I have buzzed across the godforsaken southwest (LA to Corpus > Christi, TX and back) fully loaded with A/C pumping at a cruising speed of 75 > mph (4680 rpm). This system has faithfully taken me from LA to Banff and > Jasper while often exceeding 85 on California's Interstate 5. Maximum top > speed (CA 14 at 1:18 - 1:35 AM - synchronized to the maximum CHP donut sales > spike) is just a bit between 95 and 100. The uncertainty is related to the > difficulty in keeping this whale on the road at that velocity. Engine > compression is regularly monitored and I have the oil analyzed at roughly > 8000 mile intervals. To date, no change in heavy metals or engine > compression. I did the conversion more than 5 years ago and have logged more > than 50,000 reliable miles. I am pleased to note that even with my gauge > fetish and many of my modifications to the engine system, I am in for less > than 20% of Ken's Tiico billing. (I also think the TIICO conversion costs are > outrageous!) > > I will further admit that this rampant wisdom about avoiding high rpm engine > applications is aggravating my virtual ulcers (verges on technical > prejudice). What is the basis of the concern? >