Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Jun 2001 09:38:40 -0500
From:         Chris Smith <chris.smith@AQUILA.NET>
Subject:      Re: You won't believe this one!!
Comments: To: Terry Kay <CTONLINE@WEBTV.NET>

At 10:43 PM 6/20/01, Terry Kay wrote: >Hey all, >Today I went to get my GL emissions inspected, and left shaking my head.

-snip-

>"Yep, you sure can, it seems that your employee has decided to test my >engine, and transmissions, durability, and is loading this dyno up so it >won't run over 40 mph". > >"Oh, there must be something wrong with your vehicle sir" > >"The only thing wrong with my vehicle, right this second is the idiot >who is trying to blow it up, emission testing it" >"Oh. no sir, he is a trained emission technician" >So to make a long story short, all I got from this geek is a piece of >paper stating that my van doesn't have enough H.P. to conduct a test on >it, and therefore, neither passes nor flunks, just is in limbo. >No CO's no HC's, just too slow. >Never, in my life have I ever heard of such a thing, and left this >place, shaking my head in disbelief.

I have had the same problem in my '90 Jeep. It seems that most testing facilities don't know how to shift to another gear. If you have an auto I wonder what their problem is, but if you have a manual tranny this may be what is wrong. I had to have my jeep tested a 3 facilities before they let the damn thing pass.

The Westy was another fun story, They may have set the dyno to "RV" or "camper" weight. If so your poor van was trying to move 3-5 times it's own weight around. If that's the case 40mph is really good.

Chris Smith