Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Jun 2001 10:59:43 EDT
From:         James Bowen <JBowen7@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: It's not moving...UGH!!!
Comments: To: dcates1@home.com

Tom,

I too have this thing about doing all of my own work. It's definately a 'bonding' thing. My wife tells me she can't understand the love I have for my "Lola"... So far I've rebuilt the motor, tranny, all new brakes, replace those damn plastic coolant pipes (that the end blew off of at 70 mph and blasted coolant all over the back of the van and every car behind me).

My tranny had about 130000 miles on it when started giving me some trouble. I finally decided to tear it out at 135000 miles. Until this, I'd never opened up an automatic. "Fear of the unknown." Once in there much of my fear subsided. It's amazing to me that this tiny little transmission can propel a Vanagon. The Bentley manual, List Wisdom and the boys at Austin Vee Dubs were my sources of information.

I forgot, one special tool that I had to buy ($3) was a small metric slide rule. You'll need this to measure the space between the tranny and final drive to determine the thickness of a spacer. This is outlined in the Bentley manual. Hope this helps.

Jim Bowen '88 Wolfsburg Weekender (Lola) '74 Super Beetle Sun Bug (Goldie)