Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Jun 2001 12:40:19 -0400
From:         Tom Carrington <tcarrington@RELITECH.COM>
Subject:      Re: You won't believe this one!!
Comments: To: Terry Kay <CTONLINE@WEBTV.NET>

My 1985 Crew cab also got the "low horsepower warning" when it was on the dyno...the supervisor had to override it. I just failed barely the test, I think because the operator had to hold the pedal to the floor most of the time, which activates the WOT enrichment switch.

When I get time next week, I'm going to disconnect the WOT switch and go for another test. I'll let y'all know what happens!

TomC

-----Original Message----- From: Terry Kay [mailto:CTONLINE@WEBTV.NET] Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2001 11:44 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: You won't believe this one!!

Hey all, Today I went to get my GL emissions inspected, and left shaking my head.

I went in there, and they pressure checked the cap, and then proceeded to put the van on the rollers, and crank up the engine on their dyno.

The kid running the thing, ran it up and held it WFO, for about 3-to-4 minutes, hit the brakes, and did it again, and again, and again and again.

Now the rear tires are smoking, and I stroll out of the glass enclosed waiting area, approach junior, asking him in plain english, what in the hell he's doing-----

"I can't seem to get this thing over 40 mph."

In total misbelief, I ask him to exit the van, and go get the facility manager.

The smoke is still billowing off the tires as juniors boss approaches---Can I help you?"

"Yep, you sure can, it seems that your employee has decided to test my engine, and transmissions, durability, and is loading this dyno up so it won't run over 40 mph".

"Oh, there must be something wrong with your vehicle sir"

"The only thing wrong with my vehicle, right this second is the idiot who is trying to blow it up, emission testing it" "Oh. no sir, he is a trained emission technician" So to make a long story short, all I got from this geek is a piece of paper stating that my van doesn't have enough H.P. to conduct a test on it, and therefore, neither passes nor flunks, just is in limbo. No CO's no HC's, just too slow. Never, in my life have I ever heard of such a thing, and left this place, shaking my head in disbelief.

The GL runs fine----ran it down the interstate to the testing station at 70 mph. for 12 miles.

This yo-yo must have had the brakes locked up on his machine, not allowing the engine to build any RPM, or when it did, he cranked down it so much, it slowed the engine down.

NUTS !!

Why Me?

What next?

I just thought I would share another episode of the latest trials and tribulations of Terrence.

Later,

Terry 74 Campmobile (Clementine) 85 GL 86 BMW 325 ES