Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Jun 2001 05:29:59 +0200
From:         Jutta & Christian Knust <knust-net@GMX.NET>
Comments: To: ThingGuy@AOL.COM

>Chris and others.

>Reimo will not ship direct to the US, you must order through us, (EuroCampers). Hi Steve - well, my German office is about 20 miles away from Reimo´s central shop, that´s why I could deal with that - I could have the stuff picked up and fed-exed.

>The good news is that I consolidate my shipments and this saves you money >over trying to ship by UPS or another shipper.

Hi Steve, right, I do see the point and I´d love to get you the business. However please bear in mind that for European expatriates such as yours truly a dollar is currently very very expensive and some converted prices are for us just about unaffordable. A tent for 350$ is reasonable in the U.S., however for me it´s close to 800DM, when I pay in Germany only 449.-DM for the exact same product plus 69.- DM shipping costs. 449.- DM is way below 250.- $, so Customs will never make up the difference in price. Things get worse for me and better for your business the heavier, bigger and more expensive the stuff gets. I´d have bought the one tent (was it called "Saturn"?) from you but you´ve told me that the back does not cover the Vanagon´s door fully - and my wife did not like the blue-something color of the other tunnel tent on your website..... Same calculation is true for the Sherpas. I´ll be interested in your price on this.

>Regarding the tents, be careful about ordering a tent that you have not seen or know >much about.

Well, I´ve seen it in a german catalogue (sometimes I am still happy that the movers packed absolutely everything and did not throw anything away - although I would not have minded if they´d had emptied the diaper-trashcan before packing it into the container). That´s as much as I see the stuff here in a catalogue or on a website before I buy.

>The large tunnel tents are not currently available to ship to the US, as they do not meet >requirements for US customs. You could bring one back yourself, and this may be the >only way to import one. Shipping and import fees add about $100 to the price of a tent. >If you bring one in yourself, you are limited to $250 in textiles, but this is not usually >enforced.

Well, I´m going to bring one from my next business trip to Germany in summer. It´s going to fit in the luggage so I do not worry. 600.- DM price means 520 DM value plus 16% German VAT; however Customs is calculated on the 520 DM which is less than 250$ (1US$ = 2,20 DM). So I´m doing fine on thisone. Even if I´d gotta pay customs duties - I´m not going to have to pay 100$ on a goods value of 220$.

>These tents are a bit of a pain to setup, and do not have the greatest ventilation. Well, I´d go for a 40ft Winnebago with double AC but I´m somewhat short of money right now ;-)))) It´s not like you don´t sell tunnel tents....

>I can let you know when Reimo expects to have the Sherpas back in stock. I would definetely appreciate that - however after me talking to the guys yesterday I do not have hope for a delivery before the end of the summer at the earliest - more than 30 racks on backlog since January does not exactly sound like they´ll have some left soon, even when they´ll be receiving a delivery finally. But I guess I rather wait than to buy the mentioned basic basic yakanawhatdoiknow-stuff for the same money.

Cheers Chris

-- GMX - Die Kommunikationsplattform im Internet. http://www.gmx.net

-- GMX Tipp:

Machen Sie Ihr Hobby zu Geld bei unserem Partner 1&1! http://profiseller.de/info/index.php3?ac=OM.PS.PS003K00596T0409a