Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Jun 2001 05:13:09 +0200
From:         Jutta & Christian Knust <knust-net@GMX.NET>
Subject:      More about the Sherpas roof rack

I have mentioned some time ago that thereīs a roof rack on the market in Europe which is made to be mounted on a poptop and which allows to slide down to the sides for attaching surfboards etc. I have received a number of questions about that system and would like to let you know about my findings so far. The system is called Sherpas Translift and is sold for DM 599.-, which currently eqals about 270.- US$. You can have a good look at the system at the following URL (which is case sensitive!!!):

http://www.reimo.de/files/Zubehoer_2001/rei160dm.pdf

The pdf-file is a page of one of the major van-camper outfitters in Europe, called REIMO; most of you might have heard of them already. Here are some explanations of the three bigger pics on that page: Upper pic: System mounted on a Eurovan - note the distance between the rooftop and the rack. Middle pic: thatīs how the upper part of the rack slides sideways and down Lower pic: system mounted to a REIMO poptop with REIMO rail system. Note how close the rack is to the rooftop.

I have been talking to REIMO today - the REIMO rail system will not fit on Westies, since the Westie roof is not completely flat and does not have the small dents in the roof to receive the rail system. However, the standard system fits - of course it will have to be bolted through the roof but thatīs what itīs made for. The system with article # 41200 will contain everything necessary to mount a basic rack. Extras like the surfboard or ski receptables - see smaller pics - cost extra. I had hoped to be able to bring a rack with me back from Germany in July, however it will not fit as airline luggage (some cm too long) and REIMO currently has 32 systems on backorder since January. Since the only system so far for carrying surfboards is some basic basic basic very basic system called Yokonakayakamichiyanastasewhateverjapanesebuteveryonehasit which costs at least ridiculously 300 US$ for a pair of rails and some bolts, I will probably wait and rather put my surfboards >in< the Westy for this season. I checked with my favourite german windsurfing newsgroup and these guys love the Sherpas rack. Now I only need to figure out a way how to get the stuff here, once REIMO has the rack available again. Iīve called Eurocampers the other day regarding a bus tent, but they had only small tents, so I bring a real big bus tent (ca 4,5 x 3,5 meters, tunnel-style) in July for 280 US$ from Germany instead of buying a small one for US$ 350.- here. At that time I asked them about the Sherpas system, which they did not know, but they offered to inquire at REIMO and get a price. Now that I know the thing will fit on the Westy I think about asking them to get a price quote. Otherwise I guess the German price plus FedEx-charges plus Customs may be cheaper.... REIMO usually does not send to the U.S. but that can be dealt with. Maybe someone else is interested and we can get a mass discount....

Cheers Chris 87 Westy Harry

-- GMX - Die Kommunikationsplattform im Internet. http://www.gmx.net

-- GMX Tipp:

Machen Sie Ihr Hobby zu Geld bei unserem Partner 1&1! http://profiseller.de/info/index.php3?ac=OM.PS.PS003K00596T0409a