Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Jun 2001 07:46:42 -0400
From:         John Rodger <jcr@MAGMA.CA>
Subject:      Re: "Jerry" Cans, long
Comments: To: Double-Cab Guy <doublecabguy@POWERSURFR.COM>

Great explanination of the Jerry Can Glen. I was stationed in Germany from 1977 to 1981 with the Public Affairs office at the kaserne in Lahr. One of the many events that I covered while there was the rollout of the first Canadian Leopard tank at the factory in Munich.

Not sure where I got it but I have one of the baby plastic Jerry Cans (hold about 4 liters) with a white plastic lid on it. Now I know that I should have been using it for water instead of diesel fuel. What can I say, I was a photographer not part of combat arms. Anyhoooooo, it's a very well made can.

John Rodger 88 Westy 00 Jetta TDI

At 10:01 PM 6/21/01 -0600, Double-Cab Guy wrote: >Hi Volks, > >It's not often that I post to the list but this "Jerry" Can thread is some >thing I have an intimate knowledge of. >I spent 15 yrs in the Canadian Army in a Main Battle Tank Regiment. >I was the top Corporal in the P.O.L. (Petroleum Oils & Lubricants) section >for a few years. >The tanks that we use are the German Leopard 1A5. >As far as Tanks go they are very good on fuel especially compared to the >US Abrams. >they use one third of the amount the Abrams uses. >The things that make our beloved VW's better and different than other >makes carries over to the German school of Tank building. >Then again allot of there strengths were learned the hard way, and a big >one was running out of fuel! > >But getting back to the fuel can thread. >We used a huge (60,000L/ day) amount of Diesel fuel in any given day to >keep our 60 Tanks rolling. >Unfortunately for my back a large portion was in 20L (5 gal.) fuel cans. >Through my time in the section we saw the change from the old U.S. style >steel cans to the new plastic ones. >I can tell you that that the steel cans are more grief and frustration >than there worth!! >Metal cans dent, rust, scratch ,leak and condense water in to the fuel via >temp. changes in the fuel. >Generally doing a damn fine job of contaminating the fuel that they held! >Where as the Canadian N.A.T.O. standard cans leak very little, don' rust , >don't contaminate the fuel with condensation, and are tougher than the old >steel style cans. >In fact the plastic cans are air transportable and droppable, the steel >ones are not. > >There is a reason that there is an abundance of steel cans on the market. >There not worth a pinch of "s...t". >Most militaries are changing over to plastic cans as fast as they can. >Do your self a favour don't use a metal can for diesel fuel. >If there is one thing that will stop a diesel engine and ruin it in short >order and that's contaminated fuel. >Go price a set of TDI injectors or an injection pump. Yikes!! >That is also the reason all NATO fuel cans have a colour code on the >handle or lid. >Yellow is for diesel ,red is for Gasoline, green is for coolant, grey is >for Kerosene, blue is for two stroke and white is for water. >Even civilian gas cans are red because of this rule. >So trust some one whose job was "jerry" cans, choose NATO plastic cans not >metal ones. > >Cheers >Glen

[text/html]