Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Jun 2001 04:51:22 -0700
From:         Steven Johnson <sjohnso2000@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: blown hose?, try brake lines! (of committees)

It's interesting to read these comments about the inaccessability thanks to the design of the exhaust, hydraulic and cooling systems. Never mind the electronic and F.I. systems!!! I'm sure that this has more to do with the financial bean counting committee and related watch-dogs that look for all sorts of ways to save pennys on the production line. I'm sure the last thing on their agenda (if at all) was the concern for how the "back yard" mechanic was going to be able to access this or that component in whatever compartment they were looking at. And if you look under the hood of most autos. from 1980 on up you'll get similar complaints about access most components that can be swapped out. For instance, my wifes 1986 Nissan Sentra had to have the fuel pump replaced and it's a damn pisser to get to from underneath!! Hoses galore and space between the firewall and the engine bracket it tighter than a gnats pituitary gland. Not to mention all the f----ing hoses that have to be routed to and from. And I have the scars from the cuts and scraps to prove it.

No, I don't thing engineering has much say anymore in how things are put together in automobiles. They can only ask for what they want and then the finance committee rips it apart and tells them that they have to meet some cost figure for it to be profitable enough to produce. So most likely those exhaust tubes were cut and formed to meet one production cost demand or another.....

So it goes...

Steven