Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Jun 2001 15:44:56 -0000
From:         Mike Finkbiner <mike_l_f@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      What is the sound of one van smiling? (Follow-up on Boston Bob
              Engine)

Volks -

Last week I told how we had adjusted the valves on my Boston Bob 2.1l, engine vacuum came up, and around town things seemed to be better, a bit more power, and smoother running.

Yesterday I drove about 120 miles on the highway. It's a trip I have taken a couple of times before with this engine, so it makes a good comparison. The road is a winding two lane with quite a few hills.

Overall, things seemed to be better. There is a touch more power at highway speeds, although I still have to use 3rd on some hills. It seems to to accelerate more easily in 4th.

Generally, the van seems happier, so I'm happier too!

The last couple of trips, I had experienced episodes where the engine cut out briefly. This time, no problems. I'm not sure if that's because I was carrying more spares this trip, so nothing dared to act up, or if I did fix the problem.

If I did, it was probably in the ECU, because I replaced my Adler with a newer Bosch unit that I have had as a spare. I finally got the digitool connector soldered to the Bosch, (cost me two dozen beers!), so I swapped it in.

The other thing I did was pull the ECU and fuel pump relays from the box in the engine compartment above the coil. I got the number off one, and bought a spare, but put the originals back in place. They are identical, and may have switched places.

If I put a few hundred miles on the beast without problems, I might swap ECUs again to see if the problem returns. It would be nice to know if that was it, but I'm not up to experimenting right now.

Another plus this trip was gas mileage. It was 19.3 this time. The previous two were 18.5 and 18.2. Not a big difference, but an improvement. I still want to fiddle with the AFM to see if I can bring that up, but it's close to the best I have gotten with a Westphalia around here.

When I go to the coast, in the denser air it isn't unusual to get 20+. My vacation in July will tell me more about how this handles different altitudes.

Thanks to all of you that offered advice! I really appreciate it, and I hope my story has been useful to those of you who are looking into engine swaps, or having engine power problems. I'm a lot more comfortable traveling now with a solid new engine, and I have been pleased with the way Bob Donalds helped me to work through the problems.

Of course now I'm going to start thinking about a 5-speed transmission with a locking differential!