Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Jun 2001 12:36:58 -0700
From:         Daryl Christensen <aatransaxle@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: shifter bushings---- how thight should they be ?

Ed...You might want to try to see if maybe its the transmission itself causing the vibration and the noise being transmitted thru the linkage...If it is more prevalant in 3rd or 4th at freeway speeds, then the 3/4 slider may be coming apart and telescoping the noise. Slop in the bushings seldom will cause a vibration, just agravate it...there is a bit of play in most bushings...lube all the spots with grease and try it. If you have a varying or intermittent problem with 3rd or 4th...beware of an impending internal transmission problem. Daryl of AA Transaxle Duvall, WA.(Seattle area) (425) 788-4070 1-877-377-0773 toll free http://www.aatransaxle.com (web site)

Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 14:07:17 -0700 From: Ed DeBolt <eddebolt@NETZERO.COM> Subject: shifter bushings ---- how tight should they be?

Hi Vanagoners

I'm trying to troubleshoot a vibration noise coming out of my shifter. I have recently replaced the ball and the bushings at the bottom of the stick. now I am looking at the bushings underneath the van. There are the 2 slide thru type bushings down there. there seems to be some play as the rod slides thru. how tight should those be?

my stick shift does not move around but I have a vibration noise coming out of the stick. its like the gear shift knob is loose but thats not it. seems to only occur over rough pavement.

thanks for any input

ed

87 GL manual