Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Jun 2001 18:08:06 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fw: emission tests are a fraud
Comments: To: pederparizek@QWEST.NET

Our system here in Texas is a little different, Inspections in Major Cities with smog problems is $24.00 this inspection includes various tail pipe emissions tests, Inspections in communities and small towns that are trying to get a smog problem $12.50, this inspection just requires that all of the original smog control devices be on the vehicle (but they aren't tested). Both inspections are reasonable in what they ask but most important is that the vehicle owner must show proof in Liability Insurance to get inspected or purchase License plates. I don't discount the value of testing brakes, emergency brakes, tire tread, wipers, horns and various lights and seat belts.

What I'd like to see is every vehicle that comes into Texas from Mexico must pass one of the two inspections before they get on Texas roads.

Thrown tire treads are called *Road Turkeys* by truckdrivers and there are ten times as many tire treads on the sides of Texas roads as there were ten years ago. You do not ever want to be in the path of one of these 60 pound turkeys when it's comming loose, it can severly damage your vehicle and equates to hitting a small deer at highway speeds.

Recently at the Port of Houston the Texas Department of Public Safety (Highway Patrol) stopped and inspected every truck coming out of the port gates. They quit inspecting when they condemned and removed the plates from 80% of the 200 trucks that they inspected. They ran out of room to put the trucks at their storage facility. Almost all of the trucks that were impounded were Mexican owned and operated... beware guys these Mexican trucks are coming your way.

On Sun, 24 Jun 2001 17:34:12 -0500 pederparizek <pederparizek@QWEST.NET> writes: > > > > Now I know that I am new to the list and everything, so I don't want > to upset any tree huggers out there, but emission tests are a fraud. > We had them instituted in Minnesota about 7 years ago. The state did > a study over the next five years that showed that the emissions in > the state did nothing. That's right, they did nothing, neither went > up or down. So the state, in one of it's more intelligent moves, > stopped testing vehicles. That's right, I don't have to pay the $15 > fee once a year, have idiots mess with my car, or sit in a line for > an hour. All of you out there should petition your state government > to get rid of these hassles, I mean tests. Tell them to look at what > they did in Minnesota. > Peace, > Peder > '84 Westy

________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.