Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Jun 2001 18:36:59 -0700
From:         Ed DeBolt <eddebolt@NETZERO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fw: emission tests are a fraud
Comments: To: Bill N <freeholder@STARBAND.NET>

There is a definite positive correlation between driving vehicles and air pollution. If the air quality in minn did not change then its probably because the particulates and fumes have been blown to the next community or state downwind. This is true for a lot of places. those vehicle emissions had to go somewhere. air quality is just one factor. pollutants are often washed into water and soil. ask someone who lives near an airport and has a swimming pool. they get to skim jet fuel residues out of their swimming hole.

I used to live in northern arizona and we often got to deal with los angeles pollution despite the fact that there were few vehicles where we lived.

If you remember the big dust storm the southwest had last year. turns out that dust storm started in mongolia and swept industrial pollutants from china to the US. Here in northern nevada we had very poor air quality for over a week.

-----Original Message----- From: Bill N <freeholder@STARBAND.NET> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Date: Sunday, June 24, 2001 5:35 PM Subject: Re: Fw: emission tests are a fraud

He isn't saying that polution is good, or that we shouldn't do anything about it. He isn't saying that polution isn't worse in other places than Minn. What he is saying is that a five year study showed that vehicle testing did not help. I haven't looked at the study, so I can't comment on the science, but if it was done properly, more states should look into it. Just because it seems obvious that something is so doesn't make it so. Emissions testing seems like an obvious step to curb polution, but does it really help? According to Minn., maybe not. Which uses more energy -- washing dishes in a sink or in a dishwasher? If you think the dishwasher uses more energy then you have chosen the obvious -- and wrong -- answer. Money and time spent on "feel good" solutions that don't work is not only a waste, it diverts us from finding solutions that do work. Bill ----- Original Message ----- From: Ed DeBolt

mayby you have never visited los angeles, houston, mexico city, bangkok, jakarta, rome, athens, bejing etc etc etc.

-----Original Message----- From: pederparizek <pederparizek@QWEST.NET> Now I know that I am new to the list and everything, so I don't want to upset any tree huggers out there, but emission tests are a fraud. We had them instituted in Minnesota about 7 years ago. The state did a study over the next five years that showed that the emissions in the state did nothing. That's right, they did nothing, neither went up or down. So the state, in one of it's more intelligent moves, stopped testing vehicles. That's right, I don't have to pay the $15 fee once a year, have idiots mess with my car, or sit in a line for an hour. All of you out there should petition your state government to get rid of these hassles, I mean tests. Tell them to look at what they did in Minnesota.

[text/html]