Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Jun 2001 22:41:35 -0400
From:         jhlauterbach <jhlauterbach@MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: You won't believe this one!!
Comments: To: KENWILFY@AOL.COM

Ken, don't feel bad. When I was growing up in New Jersey, cars had to be inspected every 6 months. Then they made it every year when the lines got too long.

John Lauterbach Macon, GA ----- Original Message ----- From: KENWILFY@AOL.COM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Friday, June 22, 2001 9:55 AM Subject: Re: You won't believe this one!!

Here in New Jersey we went to dyno testing last year. Here are my observations so far:

1. Increases time of inspection by about 400% 2. Decreases the accuracy of emissions testing (we have had cars that never passed the old idle emissions test, pass the dyno test!) 3. Increases the chances of damaging the vehicle, hurting someone, or causing an accident. Before a trip for testing was simple, now it is tense, hoping that nothing bad is going to happen. 4. We are having emissions tests done on every car that comes through except diesels. I was very shocked and stupefied when I took a customer's 76 bus through inspection and they put it on a dyno. Here is a car that was never really designed to meet any emission standard. At the time I don't believe they had a standard, so where are the Pass/Fail numbers coming from?

Anything before 1980 should be exempt at this point. In NJ the rust catches up with the older cars so that we don't have a ton of them like California. The amount of pre 1980 cars that are used as daily drivers in NJ could

probably fit in my local Wal-mart parking lot. What kind of environment impact are these cars having?

Is there any organized effort to petition for some kind of different emissions testing system? The one we have now just isn't efficent and safe (plus it is way more expensive than the old one). Sorry for venting, but thanks for listening.

Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com Phone: (856)-765-1583 Fax: (856)-327-2242

[text/html]