Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Jun 2001 22:54:38 EDT
From:         Robert Keezer <WarmerWagen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fw: emission tests are a fraud

I drove thru Minnesota in '97in a bright red 67 Beetle, and I didn't see very many old cars. One Vanagon. What old cars I saw were rusted hulks that I don't think would pass WSP inspection here. This may help to account why a recent 5-year study in Minnesota shows low air pollution from automobiles there. And that Minnesota isn't a state with 25 million registered vehicles .(California, last time I read)

In the small town of Tracy, at a gas station, three boys the oldest about 13, walked up to the station and exclaimed "what kind of car is this?"

Thinking they were just playing a game kept right on pumping the $1.15 a gallon premium. When they wondered where the engine was, I could now tell they were serious-they had not seen a Beetle before!

I was surprised also-after all, a kid on the West coast who can't answer the "what is a Volkswagen Beetle " question is flunked a grade.

Then I really had a chuckle when I went into the store to pay. The cashier said "Herman is going to be upset about this ." Who's Herman, I asked? Oh, he's the local VW nut" she replied. Wow, I thought, where am I -the twilight zone?

The fact that cars don't last in Minnesota has a lot to do with this study. If newer fuel injected cars are on the road, you have less pollution.

On the West Coast with warmer climates and no-salt roads, a lot of carbureted cars are still on the road. But the majority are fuel-injected. I remember Southern Cal in the 70's-it smelled like everyone was burning oil-the smog hurt your lungs and stung your eyes.

When I drive in counties other than those in Washington State that have smog testing, vehicles that would never pass emissions are happily puffing down the road, some of them leaving long trails of blue smoke. You know it when you have to roll up the windows and close the vents.

I remember in my old air-cooled days of bliss, how I could merrily waste a gallon out of every ten (at only 69 cents a gallon, who ever thought the price would go over a dollar)? SO, without these emission regulations, would we gladly all go back to carburetion and wasting gas at current prices?

Robert Keezer

1982 Westfalia Seattle

[text/html]