Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Jun 2001 20:00:09 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: subaru 6 conversion
Comments: To: paradigm@allegraprinting.com

>Thanks Chris/Ray/Andrew, > >Glad to hear from you guys. Do you mind if I fly around the globe to test >drive your >machines when your finished? :) I have been hearing a lot about that >engine (from >my mechanic too) and was wondering if anyone was doing it yet. Since this >is a new >engine design, I assume you can't find them in the wrecking yards yet. >Buying new? >$$$$$? Electronics come with??? Kennedy Eng. must have an adapter/mount >kit is my >understanding from what I read on smallcar.com. > >I've got my eye on this engine/conversion now. The opposed design and new >technology >sounds like a perfect fit - and its water cooled! Heat! And sounds GREAT!

Once my Caravelle is done you're welcome to try it. We could both die of old age before it's built though...

The EG33 (240-250hp DOHC 24V 3.3 liter, a stretched EJ22) engine from the Alcyone SVX is no longer in production. It went from about 1993 to 1997. As reliable as the EJ fours, that is, very.

I don't know exactly what years the old Alcyone's ER27 engine (140hp SOHC 24V, a stretched EA18 four) was made, but it was replaced by the EG33. They are known to crack heads like the EA18, but not every example will do so. Hopefully our listees' examples won't!

The new Legacy six is the 3-liter EZ30, which unlike the EG33 has chain-driven cams. Expect to pay big bucks for one! It's lighter and shorter than the EG33, but puts out about 40-50hp less than the older engine. Reliability will prove itself one way or the other with time.

For an EG33 check <www.copartfinder.com>. It listed 7 SVXs in US yards a year or so ago. Avoid cars with frontal impact damage to the engine, unless you can get parts cheaply... they are vulnerable to cam/head damage in accidents.

KEP has kits to fit the EA/ER engines. The basic EJ kit (flywheel, adaptor plate) will fit the EG33, and I'd expect it to fit the EZ too. The KEP exhaust and crossmember fit the fours, not the six. Your VW starter should have no trouble with the EG; my old Bay's starter cranked a 3.6 Toyota V8 and my Caravelle's starter turned a 3.8 GM V6, both perfectly happily.

Wiring? Toss it and fit a Link management system, as 2 subaruvanagon listees are doing (and I will when ready). Contact the NZ South Island distributor Neville Stowell <engine-performance@xtra.co.nz> and tell him I sent you. Also look at <www.warmotorsport.com/linkcpu.html>. Don't contact Link Electrosystems directly, as they want to sell through their California importer at ripoff prices (THREE times what it costs here in NZ!). Neville is happy to sell to you. He will be the one doing my EG33/G50 trans conversion... eventually.

Warren Chapman reckons the VW trans is strong enough, but German converters don't agree and I'm not taking thsat chance (my Caravelle's 5-speed failed), and am fitting a Porsche G50 trans. A German acquaintance is fitting G50s to BOTH of his T3s, and was looking at a watercooled 911 engine; now I've got him looking into EG33 power too, and referred him to KEP.

Andrew Grebneff 165 Evans St, Dunedin, New Zealand ph 64 (3) 473-8863 fax 64 (3) 479-7527 <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> www.goingplatinum.com/member/vw1 www.highyieldcrusaders.ws/ref.html?ref=vw www.aciimoney.com/index.shtml?vw1 VW & Toyota vans, Toyota diesels and Macintoshes rule