Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Jun 2001 08:57:14 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: '85 A/C Question
Comments: To: Jay.L.Snyder@USA.DUPONT.COM

The best place to start is; Remove all hose connections and replace all the *O* rings. It had to be leaking from somewhere and I've found *O* ring leaks in almost every system. Install a new drier. Have the system purged/cleaned and evacuated for at least two hours before you spend big bucks on Freon or the r134 conversion. If the compressor runs, remember that most of the oil has collected in the dryer so add the proper amount of oil (I'd guess about 7 oz would be about right). It's best to just pour the oil in the new dryer but you can let the system suck it in if you want. If you have this work done in a shop expect a bill for about 250$. Going to the library and getting a book on automotive air-conditioning has allways be my first stop before I started trouble-shooting a system.

Stan Wilder 1983 Westfalia Air Cooled.

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001 08:45:56 -0400 Jay L Snyder <Jay.L.Snyder@USA.DUPONT.COM> writes: > I have an '85 Westy with A/C. The compressor does not run. The > controls > on the dash seem to be functioning--the fan comes on and changes > speeds. > I have not yet put the guages on the system. There does not appear > to be > any lo or hi pressure switches on this system. (The Bentley is > nearly > useless for this unit.) There is one wire that runs across the top > of the > compressor. I am assuming this is the 12V supply for the compressor > clutch. The previous owner said it ran, but must be low on freon as > it > doesn't cool anymore. I am guessing a relay or fuse has blown or > was > removed? > Is there an obvious place to start for this? I could put the gauges > on and > jump the compressor, but that won't solve the electrical problem I > have > now. Where are the fuses or relays for this particular model? > > Jay

________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.