Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Jun 2001 07:39:54 -0700
From:         Steven Johnson <sjohnso2000@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: '85 A/C Question (better components)
Comments: To: KENWILFY@AOL.COM

This thread has led me to ask about the relay and wiring in the back pillar section. I've read that there are problems with the relays and related connections. Has somebody out there modified this area with better components so that it will last longer. I'd like to know what products and the specs for those items. I'm sure VW used components that would only last 5 - 10 years which is about standard for the industry. But for those of us who plan on keeping them longer, I'd like to hear if anyone has done a better job in this area.

Thanks,

Steven '91 Westy '86 Transporter

--- KENWILFY@AOL.COM wrote: > Just a reminder, there are two controls for the A/C > on a Westie. The inner > knob is for fan speed the outter ring around this > knob is for temperature > control. You need to not only turn the fan speed > knob, but the temperature > knob should be maxed out as well in order for the > compressor to come on (in > other words you need both knobs turned and people do > overlook this fact). If > you turn both controls on and nothing happens then > you have an electrical > problem because the earlier A/C systems (up to '86) > did not have any pressure > switches in the system so the compressor is always > on as soon as the knobs > are in the proper position. Another common problem > is that the knobs or > switches that control the A/C are broken. They are > NLA from the dealer so > good, used is your only hope (unless you want to > make your own switches). > Hope this helps. > > Thanks, > Ken Wilford > John 3:16 > www.vanagain.com > Phone: (856)-765-1583 > Fax: (856)-327-2242 >