Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Jun 2001 18:53:18 -0700
From:         Pancho de la Luna <pancho@SPEAKEASY.ORG>
Subject:      Re: pacific northwest mechanics

Thank you all for your help on the tips and locations for all of the mechanics here in the Pacific Northwest.

here' the deal with what happened to my engine.....

Recently (two weeks ago) I went on a long road trip down to northern California and had a CV joint start clicking on me on the pass in to Redding, California. I went ahead and drove the thing in to Sebastopol, CA since that was my actual destination, and I knew that there was a VW mechanic a few blocks away from my Hosts' house.

Well- this VW mechanic was great! he not only put my car at the top of the list to be fixed that day, but he also spotted a minor fuel leak that my own Seattle mechanic hadn't. he also took care of the other CV joints by squirting some grease into them. All in all- I had a safe ride home without any further problems.

now to my point...

When the Cali mechanic fixed the fuel leak (on the right side of the engine) he took off the air filter to get to the fuel lines underneath it. when he put the air filter back on- he didn't tighten it all the way back on.

this past weekend, I was driving east just past the town of Vantage, WA when all of a sudden in the rear view mirror, I see a TON of smoke and the engine starts to sputter pretty badly. there is a HORRIBLE popping sound to boot.

immediately I pull over to the side of the road to let the engine idle (didn't want the temp to shoot up if something was happening) it died.

I jumped out to pull the deck lid but noticed quite a bit of oil underneath the right side of the motor. I didn't even bother to pull the lid- I figured that I blew the gasket- no oil pressure it was dead.

called AAA. towed to Snoqualmie pass. called AAA on a friend's card that was traveling with me- towed home to Seattle. sad.

looked around online everywhere for mechanics, rebuilt motors, conversions EVERYTHING- found this list. lots of great folks sent me email all day long. (thanks!)

I went home for a few hours and decided to crawl underneath the van since the ground had dried from yesterday's rain and looked up to follow the oil leakage to the source. then it hit me...

I looked up where the air filter/sensor intake meets with the rubber boot that feeds the engine it's oxygen supply. there was a GAP about 1/4 of an inch in the space between the two components... oil dripping all the way.

I jumped up took off the deck lid and saw that the freakin' air filter and sensor had simply not been put on tight enough when the Cali mechanic had fixed my leaky fuel line.

I cleaned off the oil with a rag, tightened the boot back on to the sensor and... VVVVRRRRMMM!!!! the engine starts right up.

I saw a little bit of blue smoke come from the back- but had seen that there was oil on the exhaust pipes. Drove the Vanagon about 3 blocks and the blue smoke was gone.

my van is running again. no new engine needed (just yet).

The engine has been on it's way out for some time (I suspect that the bearings are getting pretty worn since there's a pretty prevalent rumbling sound coming from the left side of the engine. I might replace the water pump to see if this resolves the issue, but kinda want to drive the motor in to the ground and do something else with it. At this point, I'm still looking in to conversion kits and will probably be helping a fellow list member with his conversion pretty soon.

just wanted to put a big THANKS out there for everyone's input.

Myles Seattle, WA '86 Vanagon GL