Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Jun 2001 23:20:32 -0400
From:         June Kinerson <kinerson@CAPITAL.NET>
Subject:      '81 Vanagon Auto Tranny Question

Volks,

I have a 1981 Westy with a professionally rebuilt engine with about 2K miles on it. About 10K miles before the engine was redone the auto tranny was overhauled by the P.O. by a local shop.

I note of late that when I drop it into drive after a cold start after sitting overnight, it seems that the engine has to race a bit to get the van to move. At all other times there is no evidence of slippage. In fact the transmission seems to act normally after driving the 300 feet to end of my drive.

I have checked the transmission oil and find it half-way between the full and add marks. The oil was checked in accordance with the Haynes Manual (yah I know its less than perfect, but its all I could find on short notice). The manual states that the transmission oil is to checked when tranny is luke warm as is would be after a mile or two drive.

So with all that being said, is it normal for this transmission to require a higher RPM when cold to move the vehicle just after a cold start? I am quite concerned here as I am planning to take the van to the Grand Canyon in September and a breakdown out west is no picnic.

Dave Kinerson Albany NY