Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Jun 2001 08:10:24 -0700
From:         Steve Schwenk <steve@SYNCRO.ORG>
Subject:      Re: New Engine and Insurance
Comments: To: Mike Finkbiner <mike_l_f@HOTMAIL.COM>

Insurance companies like to make you think that they set the rules, but they do not. The law requires that they pay you the value of the vehicle. We all know a westy with a new engine is worth more than one with 100k+ on it. They will poo poo anything that increases the value and claim it does not just so they can pocket the difference. You have to show them they are worng. They do not set the price, the market does. How? Want want ads, dealer/shop letter, appraisals, receipts for the new engine. Make them work...they hate that. Do not give up. If you know an attorney, have them wroite a letter. I ALWAYS get more than what the ins. co. initially claims is market value when i get these little cases (usually a favor for an existing client). 100% of the time. It is all just a big game for them. You have to play tougher than they do and they will eventually cave in to get rid of you. Good luck. Steve

Mike Finkbiner wrote: > > Before I started on my engine replacement project, I wondered if anyone knew > how insurance companies dealt with vans with new engines that had been > totalled. > > Yesterday I talked to my insurance agent about that. He says it really > depends, but unless the new engine has very few miles on it, the chances are > it won't have a big impact when they value the vehicle. He is in somewhat > the same situation, with a very old but pristine Suburban. If it were > totalled, he would have a tough time getting what it's worth. > > One approach he said you could take was to say that you didn't want money, > just a comparable van. Then you would have to hustle around and find one > you liked that was close to the one which was destroyed. With passenger > Vanagons that isn't too tough, but with Westphalias, it might be hard. He > also said it would have to be in the local area, but I imagine "local" > depends on where you are at, and what you can work out with the adjuster. > > Then there is always buying the wrecked van and pulling the engine from it > to transplant into another one. That works OK if you do your own work > (unless you were rear-ended), but gets to be pretty expensive if you have to > hire a mechanic. > > The bottom line is - keep your receipts, (probably not in the van!) take > some good pictures, and hope no retiree driving a Chrysler Imperial T-bones > you at an intersection! > > Mike Finkbiner > '87 Westy > Moscow, Idaho > _________________________________________________________________ > Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com